Author Topic: Herdman family  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herdman family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 October 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a Middleton which is a historic part of Lancaster but tying it in with Prestwich, Ainsworth and
St Leonard's Church I have tended to ignore the John and Sarah Hardman marriage as being the one I am after. Do you know if the person researching Herdman has links to WG Herdman of Liverpool?

Thanks
You would need to contact the LFH&HS member to find out.
Cowban

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thanks I will maybe see how to do that.

Bentham

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
.... and it is the change from Hardman to Herdman (the name I am looking for) that confuses me.

Thanks

Bentham

From parish register transcripts on LAN OPC it seems the various spellings of the surnames began to standardise around mid 18thC, but only as far as individual parishes.
Looking at the various Gawin Herdman families:
1740s-1750s:
HARDMAN St. Helen, Garstang
HERDMAN St. Mary, Lancaster
HERDMAN St. John the Baptist, Pilling
As an illustration there was Mary HERDMAN, daughter of Laurence HERDMAN of Quarmore, baptised at St. Mary, Lancaster, 1751; Laurence HARDMAN of Quarmore in Lancaster parish married at St. Helen, Garstang 1753. Possibly same person, or at least, same family?

Earlier there were more spelling variations.
HARDMAN (Garstang 1680s, Cockerham 1690s)
HARDMON (Garstang 1690s)
HEARDMAN (Cockerham 1680s, 1701, 1729)
HARDMOND (Garstang 1690s)_
HERDMAN Lancaster 1709/10, Cockerham 1721, Pilling 1715 & 1717, 1728, 1734)
E.g. Baptism 5th May 1728, St. John the Baptist, Pilling. Richard Herdman. There is a note on LAN OPC " [HARDMAN in BTs]"

(All info from Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site.)

Were the Gawin Hardman/ Herdman families of Wyredale, Quernmore, Cockerham and Pilling related, or are you still sorting them out?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society http://www.lfhhs.org
It has a Fylde branch and a Lancaster & Morecambe branch. There's a members forum for online queries. Some branches have a Facebook page.
Cowban

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I am still trying to sort many of them out but I do believe there may be a common ancestor. Possibly Gawine Heardman in the early 1600s. Laurence Herdman you mention is a distinct, although I am sure related, family. For the line I am following one of the keys is Edward Herdman born in 1777. He was a farmer who worked and had children born in various places throughout Lancs and ended up a pub/hotel owner in Birkenhead (at least I hope he did). Actually various people of the ones you identify had careers in various aspects of the alcohol trade.

Thanks again

Offline Nephi29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I have the earliest name of Gawin Herdman and variant, here -
GAWIN HEARDMAN b c1592 – d 17 Aug 1666 at Middleton, a Yeoman (Wills Proved 28 Sept 1666). He married twice at Lancaster, his son RICHARD HEADMAN/HARDMAN c 21 Feb  1629 – d 17 March 1682, a Tanner. He died at Lower Wyersdale (Garstang) (Proved wills on 17 Mar 1682). Gawin named mentioned in the wills. Gawin Hardman/Hirdman b c 1658 - 25 March 1721 at Cockerham. His son John b 30 Mar 1689 at Garstang   d 12 Sept 1749 at Pilling. A Husbandman (Proved Wills on 18 Nov 1749). His son Gawin Herdman b 24 July 1717 at Pilling –   d 16 Apr  1789 at Lancaster. His son Gawin b 10 June 1746 at Lancaster – d 5 Aug 1830 at Cantsfield, Tunstall A Farmer, a well known and left right fortune amount of monies to his  sons Edward of Masongill Hall in Parish of Thornton Lonsdale, Farmer, John of Newton, Whittington, Farmer, Henry, William & Richard of Cantsfield, Farmers & sister Ann of Cantsfield. He has 12 children and wife Hannah Jolly. Edward Herdman one of your direct ancestor. 

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 March 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »

His son Gawin b 10 June 1746 at Lancaster – d 5 Aug 1830 at Cantsfield, Tunstall  …… He has 12 children and wife Hannah Jolly.
Marriage 1st August 1772 St. Michael, Kirkham
Gowin Hardman - Pilling
Hannah Jolly      - Larbrick

Since I posted on this thread I've discovered that my earliest ancestor in the direct female line was Ellen Hardman who married Thomas Moon at St. Michael, Kirkham, 17th June 1788, both of the parish.

Cowban

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 March 19 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to both Nephi29 and Maiden Stone. You have been very helpful. Hard to believe it was 2017 when I first posted regarding Herdman family.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 March 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I identified Ellen Hardman as my 5x great-grandmother in my direct female line on Mothering Sunday 2018.  :)
I have no idea which Ellen Hardman in Kirkham parish she was before her marriage.
The Moon-Hardman family was Catholic so when their names appeared in Kirkham parish registers it was mostly for  marriages and burials. Thomas & Ellen Moon lived in Clifton cum Salwick township of Kirkham parish.
Cowban