Author Topic: New to searching..  (Read 1867 times)

Offline ali50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New to searching..
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 October 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
@ Kgarrad, I have looked at that site before and numerous others, but none of them seem to pinpoit any battles going on the 18/04/18 though.

See the end of my post! ;D
The First Battle of Kemmel Ridge (above) took place 17th-19th April 1918.
His battalion was in the right Division and Brigade to be involved.

Ah, sorry. I overlooked that. Will have a closer look now, Ta.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 October 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
If the information you have suggests he was in the field with his battalion when wounded  then you might like to download the war diary for £3.50 at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353047

The battalion had moved early on the 10th April into billets near Nieppe when the enemy was reported to have attacked troops in front of them in the area of Ploegsteert Wood.  They were ordered into positions to give support and by about 2 pm were in a line NE of Nieppe.  Unfortunately the enemy pressed home his attack and towards evening the line had to be withdrawn to conform with neighbouring units.

MaxD

PS  I think the Guinea Pigs were the WW2 patients of Sir Archibald McIndoe at East Grinstead.

PPS.  People were constantly under fire, it didn't have to have a named battle!!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ali50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 October 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
@ Kgarrad, I have looked at that site before and numerous others, but none of them seem to pinpoit any battles going on the 18/04/18 though.

Forgive my ignorance, how do we establish which battalions are in which Division and Brigades. Please be patient with me, I'm slow at this game. ha.

Offline ali50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 October 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
If the information you have suggests he was in the field with his battalion when wounded  then you might like to download the war diary for £3.50 at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353047

The battalion had moved early on the 10th April into billets near Nieppe when the enemy was reported to have attacked troops in front of them in the area of Ploegsteert Wood.  They were ordered into positions to give support and by about 2 pm were in a line NE of Nieppe.  Unfortunately the enemy pressed home his attack and towards evening the line had to be withdrawn to conform with neighbouring units.

MaxD

PS  I think the Guinea Pigs were the WW2 patients of Sir Archibald McIndoe at East Grinstead.

PPS.  People were constantly under fire, it didn't have to have a named battle!!
The War diary sounds like a plan. See, my ignorance interfering again, always thought the Guinea pigs were WW1. This fact makes my Grandfathers surgeon all the more remarkable. Major Pickerill was a dentist, so I'm led to believe.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 October 17 23:08 BST (UK) »

Forgive my ignorance, how do we establish which battalions are in which Division and Brigades. Please be patient with me, I'm slow at this game. ha.

It's in my first post! ;)

9th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Chester on 13 September 1914 as part of K2 and came under orders of 58th Brigade, 19th (Western) Division. Moved to Salisbury Plain and by December 1914 was in billets in Basingstoke. Returned to Salisbury Plain in March 1915.
19 July 1915 : landed at Boulogne. 7 February 1918 : transferred to 56th Brigade in same Division.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 October 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
K Garrad gave you the links to the Long Long Trail in an earlier post.  As he advises, start with the regiment (Cheshires in this case), that will tell you the brigade and division.  Works very well for the infantry and cavalry, harder for many other regiments and corps.

MaxD

Just seen the op report, forgive me I mis-read the date of wounding and wonder now whether he was in the field at the time, wounding, evacuation from Flanders and admittance the same day to a hospital in Sidcup needs further thought!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline ali50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 October 17 00:02 BST (UK) »

It's in my first post! ;)

9th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Chester on 13 September 1914 as part of K2 and came under orders of 58th Brigade, 19th (Western) Division. Moved to Salisbury Plain and by December 1914 was in billets in Basingstoke. Returned to Salisbury Plain in March 1915.
19 July 1915 : landed at Boulogne. 7 February 1918 : transferred to 56th Brigade in same Division.

Thank you. I have just purchased the War diary, and it appeares that the Cheshire's were indeed in Kemmel and were relieved by the French on the evening of the 18th, which is the day of the injury. So this could very well be the site, that he got injured. Just re-read your post. I was unaware the the 9th was referring to the 9th Cheshires. Ignorance again. ha .

Offline ali50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 October 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
K Garrad gave you the links to the Long Long Trail in an earlier post.  As he advises, start with the regiment (Cheshires in this case), that will tell you the brigade and division.  Works very well for the infantry and cavalry, harder for many other regiments and corps.

MaxD

Just seen the op report, forgive me I mis-read the date of wounding and wonder now whether he was in the field at the time, wounding, evacuation from Flanders and admittance the same day to a hospital in Sidcup needs further thought!

That is a thought, not really noticed that before. It didn't register with me that the hospital would be in London?. I purchased the Diary and his regiment was in Kemmel on the 18th.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 October 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Would that be possible to be wounded and evacuated home the same day? Did they move that quickly?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk