Author Topic: Edington and Edrington  (Read 678 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Edington and Edrington
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
The joy of discovery:  Edington and Edrington are different places!  But both were in old Berwickshire.

A record dated 26 Oct 1766 from the Kirk Session Book at Mordington shows:  "Baptised to Geo. Claise and his spouse at Edrington a son named James".

I thought the place of birth was Edington, located NW of Hutton on the Whiteadder Water, shown here on a map:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/place/Edington_in_Scottish_Borders_490611_766611.htm

But no, the correct place of birth was Edrington, in the lower part of Mordington parish.  Edrington has a ruined castle and a mill, and more recently Edrington House, built in 1789.  An aerial photo and map of Edrington are located here:

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/200393894-edrington-castle-mill-mordington#.WfS-xUzMxE5

Maybe this distinction between Edington and Edrington will help someone else.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edington and Edrington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough I made the same discovery last week. My grandfather was removed to Edrington but because I knew of Edington I automatically thought that's where he'd ended up.

On closer inspection (10 years later) I noticed it was Edrington and despite thinking I knew the area like the back of my hand I found it nearby.
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.