Author Topic: Every One Remembered exhibit in Newcastle  (Read 1916 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Every One Remembered exhibit in Newcastle
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I came across this wonderful Great War exhibit outside the Theatre Royal this morning...

The poppies cascade over the memorial and then there is a brief pause.  This is certainly getting a lot of attention in Newcastle.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Every One Remembered exhibit in Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Here is more information about this ...
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
There was also a really good display outside Central Station recently telling the story of World War 1.  Not sure if it's still there but it was in the summer, a sort of walk through information boards set up.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking forward to seeing that "Soldier" outside the Theatre Royal when I am in Newcastle next week.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi MaryThorn and Rhododendron,

Thank you for these response posts.  I don't recall seeing the exhibit you mention at the Central station - perhaps it has now finished.  I will look out for this though when I am next passing through, just in case.

I hope you enjoy seeing the 'soldier' when you visit the area.  This is a poignant and well crafted memorial.  I think it was a clever idea to have still pauses in between the poppies movement over the exhibit.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't recall seeing the exhibit you mention at the Central station - perhaps it has now finished. 

It was there in July http://www.fieldsofbattle1418.org/exhibition.html
http://www.newcastlene1ltd.com/us-ambassador-opens-first-world-war-exhibit-newcastle-central-station/

Thanks for letting us know about the 'Centenary Soldier'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Jen

Just this minute checked it out and realised it was only there for one month, such a shame as it was really interesting and poignant but it's important that those stories are told everywhere so I can understand why the exhibit is no longer there.  I shall count my blessings that I happened to encounter it quite by chance and was humbled by it.

My husband showed me a post on Facebook about the exhibit outside the Theatre Royal it looks impressive and quite a clever vantage point to have it place in.  It seems the perfect place to gain the most attention.

Hopefully I will get to see this before it goes and pay a little tribute too.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen B and MaryThorn,

It is a shame the exhibition at the Central Station was only there for one month.  I would have liked to have visited this.

I agree the one outside the Theatre Royal is at a very good vantage point.  There was a steady stream of people there on Sunday morning taking photos.  I think the idea of there being a pause in the cascading poppies is a clever one as the sudden stillness seems to add to the poignancy of the exhibit.  I think the artist chose well to feature the statue with a closed eyes expression as this adds to the sense of sadness and stoicism.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB,

Thanks for letting me know of my yet another auto correct error ;D.

I have now recorrected this from Harvard to 'have visited'.  I don't know why but this device seems to love to insert the word 'Harvard' willy nilly into things.  I sent an email to my sister-in-law the other day asking how my brother is who is getting over a cold.  I later found this to read 'How is Harvard' .. needless to say his name is not Harvard. ;D  This can be a pesky little device at times.  I remember when it changed a notice I  had looked up for someone to 'internet at Gateshead Cemetery' instead of interment. ;D. Thanks Jen.