Author Topic: 1932 - Poole - Poore family - Is Gran his or her mother? Suggestions please.  (Read 740 times)

Online BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm sorry if this is the incorrect board for asking for help with opinions on who does Gran look like. I'm puzzled.  Your comments very much welcomed.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1932 - Poole - Poore family - Is Gran his or her mother? Suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I would say it's her Mother.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: 1932 - Poole - Poore family - Is Gran his or her mother? Suggestions please.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Carol. Clearly his in my book.
Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused Peter. Carol thinks Gran is her Mother, you say you agree with Carol, followed by "Clearly his in my book." Help, please.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, bugger!

I don’t know why I thought Carol said “his”. Apologies to both of you while I now try to diplomatically disagree with the “her” vote. Gotta be honest, though.

I’ve put three images side by side below.

I see the mother as having an ellipsoid shaped head with curved straight-ish sides, rounded at top and bottom. The other two, I think have basically v-shaped faces. This is particularly noticeable in the father but I think the grandmother would have had a similar shape until a bit of plumpness and gravity softened the look. Both have broad foreheads and pointed chins as opposed to the rounded top and bottom of the mother’s head.

All three, I think, have a similar cast to the eyes in these images but I think that the grandmother and father have heavier brow ridges (coming off bigger foreheads - I see the mother’s head resembling a rugby football while the other’s are like inverted pyramids).

Continuing the theme, from the top down:
The mother has soft, straight controllable hair; the other two have thicker, wiry, less controllable locks.

The mother has a nose that is thin and straight until you get to the nostrils - like a thermometer with a bulb at the bottom. The other two have more triangular noses with one straight, angled line on each side. The creases in the mother’s cheeks curve down and out, becoming almost horizontal, before becoming completely vertical and going down past the mouth. In contrast, the other two simply continue the line of the nose, stopping before the mouth to form a large triangle of the same shape as the nose.

The mother appears to have a smaller distance between her nose and her lips than the other two. She also has a long jaw with a curved chin while the others have shorter jaws with pointed chins.

A couple of other observations. While the children appear to have a mix of features from the mother and father, all three missed out on the mother’s large chin. And the boy on the grandmother’s lap seems to be a clone of his father and grandmother, having all the similarities I’ve mentioned above. Finally - a very small point - I think it more likely that a photographer would have positioned a father behind his own mother than otherwise.

Apologies again to you, BB, for the confusion, and again to Carol for appearing to agree, now disagreeing.

Did I dig myself out? ::)

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh Peter!  You really are kind, going to all this trouble!  You certainly dug yourself out, many many thanks for your input.  I have shared your post with my cousin in Australia (who knows? probably someone you know!) for her suggestions too.  She is the daughter of the older boy, and I'm the daughter of the girl.  I tend to agree that the photographer May have placed the father behind his mother.  Who knows?  Thank you again.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset