Author Topic: Vintage Chinaware Pattern circa 1930  (Read 701 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Vintage Chinaware Pattern circa 1930
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to identify the chinaware in this photo crop. The photo was from the 1930s. The pattern appears to be bamboo leaves. I'm hoping that maybe there's some chinaware experts out there that may recognize this pattern. I believe that the photo was taken at a garden party in Shanghai.
Thanks,
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Chinaware Pattern circa 1930
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian,
From my limited knowledge of china I would guess that these are Chinese porcelain from the late 19th or early 20th century. The cups and sugar bowl appear, as you say, to have a bamboo pattern, but the two jugs seem to be to be a different pattern.
Had the scene been Britain and not China I would have guessed at Shelley.
That's about the extent of my help. If the photo had been in colour it would have helped.
Sorry can't be of more help

Regards

AJ

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Coincidence, i was just looking at some chinaware on EBay.  It also has a bamboo pattern circa 1930's
no identifying marks though.  I think bamboo was a popular patterning at that time.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AJ100 and Purlin. I'll check into "Shelley". I'm told that Shanghai had sections that would have been difficult to distinguish from the UK in those times. There were many Tudor style homes and the parties there would have reflected the English theme with all the appropriate accessories. It's worth a look. BTW, all the people at the party were British.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
There's some "Noritake" patterns that are similar with bamboo designs and could also have been a choice of the British in Shanghai in the 1930s. The taller pieces look like some "Shelley" patterns that I've come across, but as you say, without colour, it's difficult to know

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile