Author Topic: Italian surname  (Read 960 times)

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italian surname
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 19:20 GMT (UK) »
This one gave me a bit of trouble but I think it is "Maria Musone/Mussone" with a long s at the end of the third line. Does anybody disagree? I still need to find the woman's name in other records to compare. The scribe used long s characters in many other instances in the same document. The only thing I'm a little unsure of is the loop beginning the second letter which I believe to be a "u". The other thing up for debate is Musone/Musane but the former seems to be a more common surname so that's what I'm going with for now.

If regional influence will help anyone, this woman was from Grottolella, Avellino.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Italian surname
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I see Messane.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Or perhaps Meisano ?
I don't think the second letter is u, and I don't think it ends -e (comparing with other known words ending -e, such as moglie, ventitre).

ADDED - the last letter looks more like the o in corrente.

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Mesano?

I think the loop following the M is the tail of the capital, which has fallen below the line in Maria. Then a tight e, s, a as in Maria, rather than o, n, and possibly an o as in corrente.

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your input and suggestions. These records are restricted to LDS centers so next time I get out to one I need to try to find another member of this family to try to find the name written again. Hopefully another instance will help clear it up.

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have put several variations in the Italian white pages and this is what comes up:

Mussone = 0
Mesano =0
Muzzone = 1
Messone = 4
Massone =11
Mazzone = 38 (All of these are within 9km of Grottolella)

Sometimes in Italian records it's difficult to distinguish between a double "ss" and a double "zz".

BTW, a "mazzone" is a big stick or club.

Mary50

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that's very helpful. I am still leaning towards 'ss' over 'zz' because many other names in the same records had a very clear 'zz' and this is quite different (i.e. Mazzarella, Mazzotti ...).

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. I've found another record from this family and am still unfortunately confused. I've attached a portion of it here. Here it looks that the mother's name is Maria and perhaps her father is Michele, but the surname now looks different (I see Messa). Additionally, of the records that have been indexed from this area, there is nothing even really close to "Massone". One close surname is Massucci, which I can maybe convince myself of seeing on the original record from this post.

I apologize for the quality but it seems the original scans are not very high-resolution. This is the best I can currently get.

Thanks!