Author Topic: Heath family emigrated from Staffordshire to New Zealand  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heath family emigrated from Staffordshire to New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 November 17 02:40 GMT (UK) »
This query was put on the "Who do you think you are" forum, last week. The poster hasn't returned there to answer any of the questions posed.

Good find, John.   ;)

So, I'm guessing there was no additional info supplied by the poster ??

~ Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 November 17 02:52 GMT (UK) »
... it's okay John, have since found the WDYTYA post.   (And some good advice from contributors to the site.   ;))

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello mm326,

Flying blind here but perhaps this is the family you are enquiring about?

Death of John Grindley HEATH

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19350914.2.110?query=heath%20staffordshire

Death of his wife

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19191115.2.130?query=heath%20staffordshire

Marriage of William Austin HEATH

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19121005.2.196?query=heath%20staffordshire

Minniehaha.

*    The first-mentioned man, was in fact John Grindy (not Grindley or Grindey) HEATH, birth registered Wolstanton, Staffs - June Q - 1849.
Said to have been the son of Ephraim HEATH and Ann SCRAGGS.

In the article referring to the death of Sarah Ann HEATH (wife of John G.) a son of the couple living at Nelson is referred to a "William".

He is not however the "William Austin HEATH" whose marriage notice is recorded above.

See next post for details of s/o John Grindy HEATH and Sarah Ann TUNNICLIFFE :

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:35 GMT (UK) »
John Grindy HEATH (formerly a butcher by trade) actually arrived in Australia (Sydney) before coming on to New Zealand 1904/05.    That is probably the reason there is no (apparent) sighting of him on immigrant passenger lists into NZ ?    He was accompanied on the voyage by his youngest son (their names though were separated in the passenger listings ).

"Orontes" - departed London - 7 October 1904

Passengers contracted to land at Sydney :

John G. HEATH - 55 years - married - occupation : "none".

John William HEATH - 20 years - Coach Builder

--------

There is a file at the following link, relating to the estate of John William HEATH - of Nelson - Retired Dyer (Intestate) :    It includes a copy of his death certificate confirming his parentage, etc.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS9F-K3RB?i=192&cc=1865481&cat=2278074

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 November 17 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Son of John Grindy HEATH arrived in NZ earlier >

Departed London - 18 November 1903 - per "Corinthic" for Wellington NZ.

HEATH - Jabez* -25 years Book Keeper (bc 1878)

[*  Indexed as "Jaboz" ]

~  Lu

Offline mm326

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I'm so sorry I've only just seen your replies. Thank you for all your effort and time taken to research this. I've been working on the tree,  there are infact several branches of the Heath family who emmigrated in the early 1900s. John Grindy Heath is one of the them, he emigrated with his two sons Jabez and John William. Thanks I'm now in touch with descendants from this line. Another branch was William Heath along with his sons William Austin and Sydney Heath also two daughters Evelyn who married Canon Samuel Corney and Lizzie who was married to Thomas Potts. The aim of my research apart from family history was to decorate a tree at our local Christmas tree festival with photos/stories of these people (the theme was countries and I had been allocated New Zealand)which I've now been able to do. Thank you so much for your interest and help, I'll follow up your suggestions and will post back when i have done so. Thanks again and I'm sorry I didn't see your replies sooner.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Offline Denise Elizabeth Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 August 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just been reading the very interesting information you have entered about John Grindy Heath and his sons Jabez and John William, who I am related to.
Other relatives who are also related to the above John Grindy Heath was Joseph Mayer Heath the brother of the Moorland Poet George Heath (9th March 1844 - 5th May 1869) and his wife Mary Elizabeth nee Pyatt with their daughter Mary Elizabeth, Sarah Eliza married Abner Sheldon from Brown Edge Staffordshire an Clare Alice. 
also Eveline Annie Corney nee Heath was also niece to the Moorland Poet George Heath and the above Joseph Mayer Heath.
There is more informaton on  another site The Heath Family of Staffordshire link heathfamilystaffordshire.co.uk

Offline Denise Elizabeth Johnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 August 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just been reading the very interesting information you have entered about John Grindy Heath and his sons Jabez and John William, who I am related to.
Other relatives who are also related to the above John Grindy Heath was Joseph Mayer Heath the brother of the Moorland Poet George Heath (9th March 1844 - 5th May 1869) and his wife Mary Elizabeth nee Pyatt with their daughter Mary Elizabeth, Sarah Eliza married Abner Sheldon from Brown Edge Staffordshire an Clare Alice also emigrated to New Zealand.
also Eveline Annie Corney nee Heath was also niece to the Moorland Poet George Heath and the above Joseph Mayer Heath
There is more informaton on  another site The Heath Family of Staffordshire link heathfamilystaffordshire.co.uk