Author Topic: Emmie Jervis Gould - Buchanan Hospital 1930-1934  (Read 2355 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Emmie Jervis Gould - Buchanan Hospital 1930-1934
« on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find where my grandmother Emmie J Gould served as a nurse. My best guess is that it was Buchanan Hospital in Hastings, Sussex.

Her family lived in Portsmouth but may have bought property in Beckley in that time period which also points to Hastings as a possible location.

She started training in 1927 in London so would have been certified about 1930. She married in dec 1934. So the period in question is 1930-1934. I found a reference to a Miss Gould donating to Buchanan which is my only clue.

Her future husband lived in South Heighton so it may have been a hospital in Eastbourne, Lewes or Brighton as well.

Is it possible to check the nursing staff records held at Sussex Archives, to see if my theory is correct.

My thanks Brian (British Columbia, Canada)
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Emmie Jervis Gould - Buchanan Hospital 1930-1934
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
What date was the donation by Miss Gould?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
The donation was in 1931.
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Try here?

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/f0858f7f-17a8-421a-95d6-223d2a74b84e

But looks like records of staff from 1940, but they may have further leads, so email them to see what they can do.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chempat

I have emailed The Keep.

Brian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think that it is 'your' Miss Gould who donated.  There are a couple of elderly spinsters of that name in Hastings around that time, I would have thought it more likely to be them  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think that it is 'your' Miss Gould who donated.  There are a couple of elderly spinsters of that name in Hastings around that time, I would have thought it more likely to be them  :-\
No, I am not sure it is her.
The mystery is how my grandfather and grandmother met. My grandfather was a farmers son living with his father on a farm in South Heighton, Sussex in 1930. By 1934 he was farming in Thakeham, Pulborough. He married my grandmother in Dec 1934 in Portsmouth, Hants (her hometown)

She lived her life in Portsmouth, went to nursing school in London in 1927 and was certified in 1930. I have no idea where or if she was a working nurse. But the assumption is that she met her husband through her nursing.

In the photo album with all the nurse photos were these 2 unknown place photos, they may be where she was working.
Brian

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth posting those photos as separate topics on here for suggestions as to where they might be.

Second one could be Hastings going by the building on the top of the hill but it could also be other places along the coast.
https://www.francisfrith.com/hastings/hastings-the-net-shops-c1955_h36001
https://www.francisfrith.com/hastings/hastings-the-view-from-the-pier-1925_77971

Incidentally the two elderly Gould ladies I mentioned, the first to die named what looks like the second
on their probate.  I would imagine that it would be more likely for an elderly local person to donate money to their local hospital than someone who was working there.  I would doubt that her nurses pay would stretch to giving donations.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Photo 1 is not the Buchanan Hospital.Know it well,4 Grandchildren born there.

Photo 2 .I think this is Hastings with the Castle remains on the hill.

Hello Rosie

The photo is of the East Hill & building on top of hill East Hill lift where people get on & off

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know