Author Topic: Outlook/Hotmail Acting Strangely!  (Read 1035 times)

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Outlook/Hotmail Acting Strangely!
« on: Monday 30 October 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Since the middle of October my Hotmail account has been showing the following error message when I try to send a message, then a large number of the message appears in Drafts and the recipient also gets a large number of the same message.
Can't remember doing anything to any settings, have had a look at the "Beta System" they want me to change to but that is all I can think of.
Have been adding an apology to all emails. So your help would be wonderful.
HeatherR
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Outlook/Hotmail Acting Strangely!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you talked to your ISP?
Where I live (in Oz) my internet drops out at least once a day.  All I have to do is disconnect it (it still usually says it is connected), wait for one minute, turn it on again and wait till it composes itself and everything works again.  Not turning it on straight after turning it off seems to be the clue, BTW.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 06:36 GMT (UK) »
I had the same problem last week. My cousin ended up with the message 38 times & I had 38 drafts. No idea why & it seemed to right itself fairly quickly.
I had the same message telling me I was not connected to the internet, but I had no problem accessing other things.
Gremlins in the system.

Offline Mike Morrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
The 'good news' is that many others have had the same problem. So it's not specific to your account or PC. Microsoft has acknowledged that Outlook/Hotmail had problems in September but people were still reporting problems in October.

Browse through the discussions and various 'solutions' on these two threads:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/duplicate-emails-appeaing-in-drafts-and-then-in/708a243d-a01d-4e04-b651-736c2ca82107
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/unable-to-send-email-multiple-copies-in-draft/e86dfedb-9b5b-45be-943f-f64442fdbd22

A couple of people suspect it's something to do with using the 'Avast' security software. Don't know if you do. The suggestion in the 2nd thread to clear browsing history, caches, cookies, etc. is sensible. It could be that - even if Microsoft has fixed the problem - your browser is still using 'old' settings which screw things up. It's also a good idea to try using Outlook with a different browser.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Dawn M, mrsuz and Mike,
 Thank you all for the help, was still connected to the Internet, but after reading the posts from mrsruz, who had the same problem and Mike giving me the links I have just been through them and applied the recommended solution. Have my fingers crossed that normal service has been restored.
Did try to google the problem before posting on here but must have worded my query wrongly.
 I don't have Avast installed on my computer.
Cheers
HeatherR
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer