Author Topic: Creating folders for e-mails?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Creating folders for e-mails?
« on: Monday 30 October 17 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I would like to place some of my important emails into Folders (and permanently remove them from my Inbox and Sent Mail).  I can only find Labels (no Folder option) and when I place the emails into the Labels, it appears that they are not removed from the Inbox.  I currently use (not knowing if we can name it in RootsChat, I'm spelling it out) gee mail.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Creating folders for e-mails?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa!   How about you copy and paste each one onto a Word Document and saving them to a named folder in My Documents?   That should be a pretty quick and simple exercise.  Maybe a separate folder for each family surname? 

Once you have saved them, you can then delete them from your email inbox. As you get more emails coming in, (or sending out) you could do the copy and paste straight away, and also delete the emails as you go.

For extra back up, perhaps you could print them off and physically file them, or put them onto an external hard drive!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 04:11 GMT (UK) »
jaybelnz, those are great ideas for some of my genealogy emails, thank you for the suggestions.  (I especially like the idea of doing it at the time that I receive it!  I tend to wait until it is unmanageable in size.)

However, I need to keep quite a few emails (non-genealogy related) with the dates and times that they were sent and/or received - perhaps I can still copy and place the entire email within a word document.

Thank you so much for the suggestions.  I will continue deleting unwanted ones for a bit more tonight and try it when I get bored/tired of deleting.   ;)  Thank you!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Good for you Lisa!  Hope it works out for you, and you find this way easier and more useful!  👏👏
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Who is your email provider.  I use Hotmail/Outlook and can tell you how to do it in these. I'm also sure I've created folders in my Gmail account.

Nic

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:02 GMT (UK) »
removed

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I have the same email provider as you do and use Mozilla Thunderbird.  It's very easy to make e-mail folders with Thunderbird I do it frequently, for ongoing email correspondence that I don't want in my inbox and sent mail - for instance I've some folders at present for plumber and builder.  I've also got some for Family History correspondence with a few people.  Also like has been suggested I save some to folders in documents.  I always save every email I get receiving on line purchases and have them going back a few years now, if I want to re-order something I order rarely I can click on the previous order (to get item reference) and it comes up as an e-mail dated at the time of ordering.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Lisa did say she was using Gmail ;D
But was a little shy in actually naming it.

Click on the cog icon (toward top right) known as Settings.
Then Configure Inbox.
There are set tabs you can use: Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates and Forums.

So, obviously not as flexible as most other email clients.
You can't create your own folders, as far as I know.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 October 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I can create folders, but I wonder if it is because I use Mozilla Thunderbox to receive the emails.  All I do is right click on the word Inbox and there is an option called New Folder, click on that, name it whatever you want and just move the emails across.  If they are in the inbox just click and move over, if they are in the sent box, right click, then on the menu find Move To, highlight your email address which will show up and choose the folder you've created.  It's very easy.

To save to My Documents, I create a new folder wherever I want it, then with the inbox open (or the send if that's where the email is you want to save), click on File on the top left hand corner and file as usual.

You can then delete the emails from inbox or sent etc. but you'll have them saved somewhere else.  Of course, if you delete emails without saving them and even delete from your bin, which I've done, you can always log into gmail and go to all emails and you'll find your lost emails there.