Author Topic: Emily Robertson  (Read 815 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emily Robertson
« on: Monday 30 October 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the burial place of Emily Robertson who died in 1898, New South Wales.
She lived in Inverell but I can't find a burial place. Her maiden name was McDonald and she
married Alexander Robertson around 1894. I think there were three children. It appears she died
when her last child , Neil was born. There is a newspaper article on Alister Robertson who was the eldest child I think, he died in 1924 from a gunshot , his wishes were that money from his estate should be used to erect a headstone on his mothers grave.
Any help appreciated
Cheers Craig

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Her death: 1845/1898 ROBERTSON Emily parents JOHN MCP and CLARA INVERELL

Children:

1895 Alister M died 1924 BOOMI

1897 Jean McL

1898 Neil

You can find the above information by searching: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

You may get assistance from this group: http://www.inverellfamilyhistory.org.au/

Jamjar

Added: Headstone article, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article178981626

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help Jamjar, that's the article I found as well,
middle child Jean McLaurin or McLaren , which appears to throw
back to Scottish relatives
Cheers Craig

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Craig.

I live in Inverell.

The Local History section of the Inverell Library has booklets of transcriptions from local cemeteries, split by religious denominations. The following details are from the Other Denominations booklet:
Emily Robertson died 2 February 1898 aged 29
Died at Oliver Street, Inverell
Aged 30 on headstone
In Presbyterian Section 3

I’ll take a run out to the cemetery this afternoon and see if I can find the headstone. [ * Added: I note that only in the booklet are numbers given to all the sections; it appears that in more recent plans the part we are looking for is now simply called Presbyterian Addition. Hope I can find it!]

[Anyone else looking for local Inverell details (or trying to help someone looking for them) I’m happy to look them up, but it might be best to PM me in addition to posting because I seem to spend most of my Rootschat time on the Photo Restoration board these days - addicted to it.]

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Craig.

Managed to find the headstone and have attached three photos.
The stone is in poor condition so I’ve included an enhancement of the closeup so you can read as much as possible of the inscription. It says:

“In Loving Memory
Of
Emily Robertson
Died 2nd Feb 1898
Aged 30 years”

If ever you come looking for it, follow these directions:
Starting at the plan of the cemetery near the carpark, walk down to the shelter shed shown on the plan, then walk about 50 metres to the right and then turn left and walk about 30 metres downhill. (I took me about 60/35 paces when coming back.) That should bring you to Emily’s feet (or not - I don’t have a very good sense of direction ;D).

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter, I am overwhelmed by your generosity, helping to find Emily's resting place and provide photos. Wonderful to see that Alister's last request that his mother got a headstone on her grave was realised. Emily's children ended up in South Africa with their father, Alexander. Thank you again so much.
Cheers Craig