Author Topic: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood  (Read 3722 times)

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood
« on: Monday 30 October 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors, James Christie bap. 09.08.1820 Perth and Jane Sherwood (unable as yet to find her birth though gather its 1815-16). they married 15.10.1841, St Paul’s Church, East Parish, Perth 
I believe Jane died 09.10.1859 though I can't trace this source.
However I have found a second marriage for James to Helen Rae 24.01.1853 to Helen Rae, daug of David Rae (Tailor in London).  So this was 6 years before his first wife Jane died (assuming that date of death is correct).
What might the circumstances have been for him to remarry? Would any divorce have been recorded?
Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

For info: James died 06.12.1862, Murray Royal Hospital, Perth  age 42, Grocer, Wife shown as Helen Rae. Cause shown as paralysis for 4/5 years. What would that illness be called now as I understand this hospital was an asylum?

Jane Sherwood: Can't find her death or her birth (though have her sister Margaret bap. 10.08.1806 and brother George b.1825)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Scotlands not my area but I had a go.
Assuming Jane Sherwoods mother's maiden name is Young then yes she did die 1859 at New Airdrie /Monkland age 43.(It's on Scotlands  people website).
If they divorced before the 1890s in England and Wales it required an Act of Parliament and a lot of money.I'm not sure what the position would be in Scotland.
No sign of her birth either.

As for the cause of death ,prepare yourself for a shock.If it's an Asylum then his paralysis would have probably been General Paralysis of the Insane  or Syphilis .
At the time it was untreatable and caused mental health problems.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the Scottish system can tell you more.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Did this couple move from Perth Perthshire to Lanarkshire before 1855 ?
They seem to be on the 1851 Census in Perth Perthshire.

Did they have the following children in Lanarkshire ?
Isabella Christie born 1855 New Monkland
James Christie born 1857 New Monkland

Have you found the any of the children on the 1861 Census ?
(Margaret b.1842 , Jane b. 1843 , John b. 1845 , Ann b. 1848 , Agnes b. 1850 , George b. 1852 , Isabella b. 1855 , James b. 1857).

ev

Added -
Could this be Jane Sherwood's birth ?
Jean Robertson Shearwood , birth 22nd June 1815 , baptism 25th June 1815 Perth Perth , parents George Shearwood & Margaret Young.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.
Ciderdrinker, I doubt they divorced from what you say.
Ev, you have found Jean/Jane;s birth! Thank you so much! We went to Hawick twice and didn't manage to find that on SP. I have it now - thank you.

So if James married Helen Rae in 1853 yet his first wife Jean/Jane didn't die (in Airdrie) until 1859, he was potentially leading a double life or is that too modern a phrase? Plus he had 2 daughters to his 2nd wife in 1854 and 1859 in Perth. Seems almost unbelievable.

Also he seems to have had various occupations too showing as a Painter in Airdrie Census 1861 with at least 2 boys working for him yet he was a Printer (or as it Painter) and Spirit Dealer on his marriage to Jane but a Merchant on his 2nd marriage record and a Grocer on his death. I feel like I have this wrong but the names all match up.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 07:39 GMT (UK) »
I feel like I have this wrong but the names all match up.

Just wondering if you have the correct birth for James ?
Ann McIntosh Christie born 30th July 1848 , baptised 13th August 1848 Perth Perth , parents James Christie & Jane Sherwood.
James Christie born 24th April 1819 , baptised 25th April 1819 Perth Perth , parents John Christie & Ann McIntosh.

Is Ann McIntosh Christie(born 1848) on the 1851 Census ?
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/3887?Surname=christie&Forename=ann&BurialDate=&alt=True&SortField=ID&SortDirection=ASC&DetailID=30472

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Think these are two different James Christies. James Christie who was married to Jane Sherwood is living at 54 Stirling Street, New Monkland in 1861 with a number of his children by Jane. According to FindMyPast he is a widower. In 1871 he appears to be living at 10 Gauldry Street Glasgow ( transcribed as James Christal) with son James from his marriage to Jane Sherwood ( age 15 born New Monkland) ' wife' Margaret Watson ( transcribed as Walson on Ancestry) and daughter Mary Ann from the second marriage ( born 1870 in Clyde reg district).
Can't immediately see the other James ( married to Helen) in 1861. Perhaps he was already in the Asylum. Looked for Helen also without success. They appear to have had a daughter called Jemima in 1859 in Perth who should be easy to find, but drawing a blank there too.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Jemima Christie married Daniel Wylie in Perth in 1879 (reg 387/84). In 1881 Jemima C Wylie is listed at North Inch, Perth along with husband Daniel ( a Pianoforte Dealer and Music Seller) and a baby daughter. Also listed is Jemima's mother Helen Roy age 49, born Auchtermuchty ( a widow according to FindMyPast). Using her age and place of birth I have now located her in 1871 as Helen Roy wife of John Roy, living at 42 George Street, Perth. Jemima is listed as Jamesina Roy, age 11 born Perth. Helen Rae or Christie married John Roy in Partick, Glasgow in 1879 (reg 646/2 47). Still can't find them in 1861. There is a James Burn Christie listed in Murray a Royal hospital but age is slightly out (39) and occupation is Clerk in Bank. Place of birth is Dundee.
Isobel
Added James B Christie born Dundee is still in Murray Royal in 1891. So not him

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Watson who appears as the wife of James Christie in 1871 appears to have been the widow of Archibald Bennett. Three of their children are listed as stepchildren of James Christie in 1871. No sign of an actual marriage between James and Margaret. They look to have emigrated to Canada between 1871 and 1881 where they appear in Toronto. James is a Printer, the same occupation he had in Scotland. He appears to have died in Toronto in 1884. Daughter Mary, who was born in Glasgow in 1870 married James Brydson in 1895 in Toronto and they can be tracked up until the 1911 Canadian census. Mother Margaret is with them in 1901.
Isobel

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile