Author Topic: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood  (Read 3696 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Christie bap.09.08.1820 & Jane Sherwood
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census transcription FreeCEN -
Skinnergate , Perth , Perth.
John Christie 45 cotton hand loom weaver b. Perth
Ann Christie 40 b. Perth
James Christie 20 letterpress printer journeyman b. Perth
David Christie 15 letterpress printer apprentice b. Perth
Peter Christie 6 b. Perth
Isabella Christie 10 b. Perth
Alexr McIntosh 80 tailor journeyman b. outside Census County

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for all of this information - it has taken me a while to work through it.

The reason I thought I had the correct James Christie born 09.08.1920 in Perth to James Christie and Ann Rough, was that their child Agnes b. 02.02.1850 in Perth (who is my line) has the middle name Tough (probably should have been Rough)from her maternal grandmother Ann Rough. Later it became Tuff. My mother (living) remembers her father telling her Auntie Nan (Agnes) had a nickname of 'Tufty' too so I guess that must be correct.

So do I forget the McIntosh link or have I misunderstood? Sorry, I'm relatively new to this!

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
ignore the Aunt Nan comment - that was another Agnes!

But this one, in my line, is my Great Great Grandmother - Agnes Tough Christie eg on her birth record in Perth, daug of James Christie,  Printer and Jane Sherwood

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 November 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
wish I could find this on SP:

James Christie who was married to Jane Sherwood is living at 54 Stirling Street, New Monkland in 1861 with a number of his children by Jane. According to FindMyPast he is a widower.

I can only find the other James Christie who shows as a widower and painter (or printer?) employing 2 boys etc - very difficult to read

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 November 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
wish I could find this on SP:

James Christie who was married to Jane Sherwood is living at 54 Stirling Street, New Monkland in 1861 with a number of his children by Jane. According to FindMyPast he is a widower.

I can only find the other James Christie who shows as a widower and painter (or printer?) employing 2 boys etc - very difficult to read
Bit confused by this comment as the James Christie who was living at 54 Stirling Street IS the one who was a Printer employing one man and two boys. He was a widower, as Jane nee Sherwood had died in 1859, and he is listed with a number of his children. He did not marry Helen Rae and did not die in 1862. That was a completely different James Christie, who seems to be missing from the 1861 census ( together with his wife Helen and daughter Jemima born 1859.)
James ( previously married to Jane Sherwood) turns up in the 1871 census in Glasgow with a lady called Margaret Watson who is listed as his wife ( although they don't appear to have ever married). She was a widow ( of Archibald Bennett) and had a number of Bennett children. James and Margaret and some of their children ( both Christie and Bennett) went to Canada. James and Margaret both died in Canada.
I agree with ev that James is very probably the James Christie born to John Christie and Ann McIntosh in April 1819.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 November 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Not what you asked about, but this may be of interest. 

GRO(S) ref. 1862; 651/1; 38
Jane Sherwood Christie dau. of James Christie, Printer, & Jane Robertson Sherwood (deceased), of 18 Wellwynd, Airdrie, married James McLellan Gray in Airdrie on 9 June 1862.
She d. 30 Jan 1880, Newarthill.
James McLellan Gray subsequently went to America and died in Kansas.

I only have my transcription of the marriage record with James Christie's occupation as Printer.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline ThumbelinaPM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your responses. I understand more now I've seen that two page census in 1861 and that of 1871. However I’m not convinced on the McIntosh link.

Couldn’t this be possible:

James Christie and Ann Rough marry 01.07.1812 in Perth. They have James, Isabella, George, Richard, James - the latter being my line; I assume the first James dies.

‘My’ James marries Jane Sherwood, daug of George Shearwood (Shoemaker) and Margaret Young 15.10.1841 in Perth. James and Jane have Margaret, Jane, John, Ann, Agnes (my line), Isabella and James.

Agnes is born 02.02.1850 and her birth record shows Agnes Tough Christie, daug of James Christie , Printer, Perth and Jane Sherwood his spouse. 

Otherwise wouldn’t she have been Agnes McIntosh Christie?  Where else would the Tough/Rough have come from but the paternal grandmother’s maiden name  though it was Agnes’s elder sister Ann who was named after the paternal grandmother.

I have the birth record of James Christie b. 18.07.1820, bap. 09.08.1820, son of James Christie (Gunmaker) and Ann Rough (who would become Tough) who are also named on the 1859 death cert of James.

Possible or am I still missing the obvious?

I know Agnes Tough Christie marries my ancestor Robert Eddie Thomson b. 02.04.1849 an they marry 05.12.1870 in Airdrie

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Rough and Tough are completely different surnames - unlikely that one would be mistakenly substituted for the other. Also why Agnes Rough Christie if the supposed grandmother is Ann Rough.
You have an Ann McIntosh who is potentially the grandmother of Ann McIntosh Christie with dates and places that fit. I am fairly certain that the James Christie married to Jane Sherwood was the son of John Christie and Ann McIntosh.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1857 in Blythswood, Glasgow between a George Sherwood and an Agnes Tough. George appears to have been a Free Church Minister and From 1851/1861 census was born in Perth between 1823/1826. The marriage certificate will confirm but I believe he may be the George Sherwood born in 1825 to George Sherwood and Margaret Young and therefore brother of Jane Sherwood. Not uncommon to call children for the partners of siblings.
Naming of the children of James Christie and Jane Sherwood follow traditional naming pattern almost exactly except second daughter appears to be named for her mother rather than her paternal grandmother-
Eldest daughter Margaret born 1842 ( maternal grandmother)
Second daughter Jane born 1843 ( mother)
Third daughter Ann McIntosh born 1848 (   paternal grandmother)
Eldest son John born 1845 (paternal grandfather)
Second son George Sherwood born 1852 (maternal grandfather)
Third son James born 1857 ( father)
Isobel