Author Topic: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch  (Read 7383 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
yes, Gadget, I have have been reading so much today, I really wish I had the funds just to go and see the area for myself. Unfortunately I need to rely on internet and photos others post as well information that I can read about the many places around the areas that my forebears lived. They certainly were hardy lots including all the women and the children that they had. My particular SCOTT family - of which this Adam Scott was the eldest son - all ended up in NZ apart from him - hence my need to find out more about him and why he stayed in Scotland as well as his family. I have worked that out via circumstances. He had married and had little Mary (born in 1874) by the time the family moved to the Falkland Islands to work with the Falkland Islands Company - all were shepherds and known to be good shepherds at that, with the Father Adam Scott being 12 Cheviot sheep to the Falklands with him when they went there. Once the large family returned from the Falkland Islands back to Scotland - the son Adam was well established in his own life, children being cared for by maternal grandparents - I have a feeling that Adam did not have a great deal of contact with them after he left them with the grandparents unfortunately I think due to work and areas in which he did work in.
But the family of which consisted of Adam Scott his wife Mary Scott MS Gillanders, and all the sons and daughters that had survived arrived in NZ in 1879 either via the "Timaru" or the "Nelson" to Dunedin Otago, have produced a great deal of Great Great Grandchildren as well as today many more GGGG Grandchildren. All of us are keen to find out the life that our forebears lived back in Scotland before then immigrated and this week just following their eldest son Adam Scott's life adventure has been a wonderful experience and I am sure when I send the details to my many cousins in NZ (I now live in Australia but was born in Dunedin NZ), they will be amazed about how the family lived just as much as I have been.

It is a great group that I can ask questions about a place, and get the exact spellings and pronunciations of places and where the place just might be.

I am very very proud of my Scottish background, even if born in NZ, but my Grandparents on my maternal side came to NZ in 1926 from Glasgow, but this is via my Paternal side who arrived in NZ in 1879, as well as the families they married into who came from the borders (Elliot's) in the 1860's.
Also my name of Ailsa after Ailsa Craig of which I am very proud of that my parents named me.
So I think you can see why I am very passionate about where I really do come from and how knowing all about the areas and places helps with my genealogical research.

Again Many thanks and most likely will hear from me again soon
Regards
Ailsa Corlett  (BTW I married a man who descends from the Isle of Man in more ways than just name)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
@ Ailsa, by the name Scott, they have come to the Highlands from the Borders in the wake of the Clearances. Lairds evicted their tenants wholesale when it was found that they could make more money from sheep-runs formerly used as shielings for Summer grazings of the tenants cattle.

Skoosh.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skoosh, you are correct. The original Adam Scott who married Mary Gillanders  24 March 1850, (marriage recorded in both Kilmallie Argyllshire where Adam was working, as well as Contin, Rossshire where Mary Gillanders was living) was born in the Scottish Borders of Roxburghshire. In fact in 1825 Priesthaul Hill, Hawick, along with his brothers and we think a sister. His father was also an Adam Scott and a Shepherd. At this stage not sure what happened with his parents, but we are still working on that.
The Gillanders family are from the Contin area in R&C, and also go back via marriage into the McKenzie's, in fact I have documents saying going back to Hector McKenzie - but I need to prove that myself and not just take word of mouth or others research - I think you will understand.

If anyone wants to contact me regarding the following family members I am currently updating in my database the family history proven goes this way. (I have just given very very basic details here)

Adam Scott b 1825 Roxburghshire married Mary Gillanders b 1826 Contin R&C - Married 24 March 1850
They had the following 11 children who also married:

Adam Scott b 1850 Contin R&C, married 1st Catherine McLean (Alex McLean & Jane McKay) (died 1879 Claona R&C) - 2nd Married Jane Taylor 1901 Bellie, Elgin  (Adam and Catherine had 3 children:  Mary Scott b 1874 Kiltarlity Inverness; Jane Scott b 1876 Kiltarlity Inverness died 1879 Auchanasheen ? R&C; John Scott b 1878 Claona R&C - married Annie Inglis in 1904 Urrary R&C0
Adam Scott died 1915 Banchory Ternan Kincardine  (this is the family I have been following just recently)

John Scott b 1853 R&C and died 1876 Falkland Islands, South America

Annie Gillanders Scott b 1854 Contin R&C, married John Spence Weir, 1874, Falkland Islands, died 1944 Christchurch Canterbury NZ - large family of 11

Alexander Gillanders Scott b 1855 (yes wonderful certificate), Contin R&C, married1878 Margaret McLean (dau of Hugh McLean and Margaret Ross), Kinlochewe R&C - he died 1931 Dunedin NZ - large family of 8

William Gillanders Scott b 1857 Contin R&C, married Bridget Conway in 1885 Timaru NZ. He died 1927 Waihi, NZ - family of 6

James Gillanders Scott b 1859 Contin R&C, married Margaret Martin 1891 NZ, and after Margaret died Married Isabella Black 1895 Hamilton NZ - family of 6

Kenneth Gillanders SCott b 1862 Kilmorack Inverness, married Catherine McLennan in 1890 Timaru NZ - he died 1949 Masterton NZ - family of 8

Thomas Scott b 1864 Kilmorack Inverness - not married - died 1917 Napier NZ

Charles Gillanders Scott (my Great Grandfather), b 1866 Glenaffric Inverness - married Jane Elliot (of the Elliot Clan of the borders), in 1888 Nevis Otago NZ, Jane died 1902, then he married her sister Isabella Douglas Elliot. Charles died 1923 Dunedin NZ. Large family from Jane only of 9 children

Jessie Isabella Scott born 1868 Glenaffric Inverness, died 1876 Falkland Islands South America

Walter Scott, born 1869 Abetarff Inverness, - no married, died 1914 Waihi New Zealand

If anyone is interested in the above family members, I would love to correspond with you, please send me a message via my email and I will answer anything you like. I have lots of information and photos pertaining to these families in NZ.

Kind regards
Ailsa Corlett

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
You've been busy Ailsa!  ;D   My own folk were from Urray, here is a wee history of Fairburn estate with a list of the tenants, you might be lucky!

http://www.fairburn-estate.co.uk/history.html

Skoosh.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that Skoosh, made wonderful reading, but just too many McKenzie's for me to sort out at this stage, it is bad enough chasing all my Scott family members. But I have saved the page for later reading if I find I need to come back to it.
Again thanks
Ailsa

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 November 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I am wanting to know what the correct spelling of this place
There is no such thing as 'correct spelling', especially if the name is Gaelic!

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4971879

Balnaluib is just north of Aultbae so in the Mellon Charles area - Achnasheen is miles away - confused now  :-\
The village of Achnasheen lies in the parish of Contin. Therefore a death in that village at that time ought to have been registered in Contin, not in Gairloch.

Not even a track apparently Gadget.
There was. The mid-Victorian six-inch map shows that the track to Claona was from the west, either via Kernsary or via Letterewe and presumably a boat across Loch Maree. See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.7001&lon=-5.3380&layers=5&b=1.

Strange the he would walk all that way north rather than just going to Poolewe to register the birth and the deaths.
He would have had to go to wherever there was a registrar or assistant registrar available. If the parish registrar happened to be in Mellon Charles, or Bualnaluib, as seems to be the case, then that is where he would have had to go. It would make sense for the Registrar to be near a slightly more populous part of the parish, such as the Aultbea/Mellon Charles/Mellon Udrigle area.

Was Adam the informant on the deaths of his wife and Jane, and were both deaths registered on the same day? Was he 'present' at both deaths? Maybe the Registrar of Gairloch North took pity on him and registered Jane's death to spare her father having to walk all the way to Contin and back, though I'm not sure that that was allowed, strictly speaking, by the rules then in force.

What intrigues me is how it came about that Jane died at Achnasheen, assuming that there is just one Achnasheen of course. If she was dying of consumption, she could never have walked there. So was she lodging there with someone, either for her health or in order to attend school (though she was too young for school)? What did Adam actually do after his wife's death? Where was she buried? How did he get her body to the kirkyard? If it was Gairloch kirkyard, how did he find out about Jane's death a day's walk away? What did he do with the other children while he was walking the length and breadth of the parish to deal with the deaths? Maybe he had, or was able to borrow (from whom?), a horse and ride rather than walk, but it was still a lot of travelling. And did his sheep have to fend for themselves? Was he dismissed from his job at Claona, or did he choose to move to Tarras in search of a better life?

What is interesting is that Auchnasheen is queried on the entry - I think it's probably wrong so probably looking for something that might sound like that in Gaelic in that peninsular.
I don't think so. I think that what is being queried is the exact time of death, which is missing from the line where you would expect it to be.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
I am wanting to know what the correct spelling of this place
There is no such thing as 'correct spelling', especially if the name is Gaelic!

Rosinish has given the link to that photo earlier

Balnaluib is just north of Aultbae so in the Mellon Charles area - Achnasheen is miles away - confused now  :-\
The village of Achnasheen lies in the parish of Contin. Therefore a death in that village at that time ought to have been registered in Contin, not in Gairloch.

Which was why I queried it

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 November 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Rosinish has given the link to that photo earlier
Actually, no. Rosinish gave a link to a different photograph at
https://canmore.org.uk/site/103166/claona

Which was why I queried it
Just agreeing with you that it looks out of place.

I did say that I think the question mark relates to the time of death, not to the place of death.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 November 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I've tried to follow so-called "Tracks" in the Highlands for yonks. In this case it doesn't appear on my century old half-inch map, I wouldn't care to tackle it today, never mind organising a flitting!

Skoosh.