Author Topic: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I've tried to follow so-called "Tracks" in the Highlands for yonks. In this case it doesn't appear on my century old half-inch map, I wouldn't care to tackle it today, never mind organising a flitting!
No, I wouldn't want to either. I was just pointing out that in the middle of the 19th century, Claona was linked to the coast rather than to Kinlochewe/Achnasheen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you all again for helping with my query.
 I do have the same sort of questions as

Forfarian on: Saturday 11 November 17 10:51 GMT (UK)

Was Adam the informant on the deaths of his wife and Jane, and were both deaths registered on the same day? Was he 'present' at both deaths? Maybe the Registrar of Gairloch North took pity on him and registered Jane's death to spare her father having to walk all the way to Contin and back, though I'm not sure that that was allowed, strictly speaking, by the rules then in force.

What intrigues me is how it came about that Jane died at Achnasheen, assuming that there is just one Achnasheen of course. If she was dying of consumption, she could never have walked there. So was she lodging there with someone, either for her health or in order to attend school (though she was too young for school)? What did Adam actually do after his wife's death? Where was she buried? How did he get her body to the kirkyard? If it was Gairloch kirkyard, how did he find out about Jane's death a day's walk away? What did he do with the other children while he was walking the length and breadth of the parish to deal with the deaths? Maybe he had, or was able to borrow (from whom?), a horse and ride rather than walk, but it was still a lot of travelling. And did his sheep have to fend for themselves? Was he dismissed from his job at Claona, or did he choose to move to Tarras in search of a better life?

I will answer each question:
Adam Scott was the informant on each of the deaths - wife and daughter Jane - he signed, Adam Scott, husband or Father, and Present at both.
Both deaths were NOT registered on the same day.
Catherine who died 5 May 1879 at 10AM, saying Cluna Parish of Gairloch, was registered 13th May 1879 at Balnaluib by Hur Murray, Assistant Registrar
Jane Scott who died 10 May 1879, aged 3 years - has what looks like a faint line through where time normally goes then a ? and next line says Auchnasheen. (Uncertain to tell really if the ? pertains to the time which is missing or the place), but her parents are listed as Adam Scott, Shepherd and Catherine Scott MS Maclean, Deceased. Again Adam is the informant and said he was present at her death, but this time was registered on the 19th May 1879, Balnaluib, again by Hur Murray, Assistant Registrar.  Both certificates are on the one page, and full title is Deaths in the Northern District of Gairloch in the County of Ross.
The other death on the page (1st one) was registered 6th May 1879, at Mellon Charles again by the same Assistant Registrar.

I think that the place name of Auchnasheen is incorrect on the certificate, it just does not seem possible for Adam to be present at both deaths if Jane's death did occur actually in Auchnasheen.

And why are the deaths registered on different days ?.
Catherine died 5th and registered 13th, Jane died 10th and registered 19th.  Dates just do not add up, can understand Catherine's dates, but definitely not Jane's dates of death and registration. If she died on the 10th and Adam registered Catherine's death on the 13th, then why did he not registered Jane's death at the same time.?

My only idea of explanation for this, is that Adam Scott was NOT present when Jane died, and that perhaps she was staying with someone in Auchnasheen rather than with the family - more research to do yet. And that Adam did not get word about her death until after the 13th May and closer to the 19th May.

This still raises your question about the other children, one being about 5yrs and the other still a baby of 1yr old. - All I know at this stage is that they were with their Maternal Grandparents on the 1881 Census back in Kiltarlity Inverness.
Adam is then recorded as a Shepherd in Tarras Moray working for James Davidson.

At this stage not located Catherine or Jane's burial details. As the certificates do not give kirkyard where buried I need to see if I can locate this yet.

BTW it is definitely the correct and same person of Adam Scott who signed both certificates.

So still lots of questions regarding the actual place of these deaths and why does Adam say he was present at both of them.?????

Again thanks for the thoughts and intriguing ideas regarding my family and the places concerned. Still beautiful country even though very wild to be having and bringing up children, but that is what they did do then. Doubt any of us could survive the way they did - I know I would be lost without my internet access and computer LOL

Regards Ailsa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ailsa

I'm not sure if there would be any headstones for them  - but here is a useful site that lists the burial grounds:

http://www.rosscromartyroots.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=63476

(Scroll down to Wester Ross - the Gairloch section might be the most likely* )

The site also gives other interesting background information.

Gadget

* Mellon Charles has a photo.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that if you click on the Albums (see snip below) and select the drop down list, you will see photos and inscriptions for each grave yard. I'm not sure if the lists/photos are complete.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I keep trying to post here... not sure I am doing it right...I have walked to, and camped many many times at Claona..one of my fav. sites in Scotland I have many photographs and 'history of the ruin... it did exist, at least, as early as the early 18th century.. the area behind the main ruin (there are two) is very soft and verdant... originally a vegetable patch? Maybe animals were tethered there. There are traces of tracks..one main one West>Gairloch.. faint North
> Dundonnell ... and a very very faint one East towards the end of Lochan Fada which joins an ancient good track which goes South to Kinlochewe  Below the ruin there is an ancient stone 'path' which leads out into the Loch..your ancestor probably fished from there (as have I)..there are lovely wild brown trout to be caught   I will keep trying to post some of my images... It was originally a 'shieling bothy'... a shelter for young men (women?) who took Highland cattle to graze on the slopes of the nearby mountains...  There were originally two buildings..maybe one for men..other for women. There were, once upon a time, other families not too far away..but like Claona only their ruins remain..A tough life!    Best Garry

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Garry!

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh.. Claona is a place which has a fascination for me... Rosnish posted a photograph of the ruin which is one of many I have taken... My 'name' (Cloana) is not linked to this post..it is one I use often.. have done over the years.... Here is an interesting 'tale'... Middle 18th century a young French speaking lad sought refuge at the place..he was known as being 'yellow haired'... On the morning he left he gave a coin to the young lass who had given him a bowl of milk? cream?  By doing so he revealed that he had 'money'... later in the morning someone heard a shot and he was found dead... no money. There was a local rumour at the time that a family became slightly more wealthy. In the 19th century there was said to be an old man who had a coat which was lined with material from the dead man's coat!!!!

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 15:59 GMT (UK) »
(from) Guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree By John H. Dixon, F.S.A. Scot.(pub 1886).....>There were at this time three brothers of the name of Cross, who were sons of one of the last of the Loch Maree ironworkers. One of them was a bard, who built a house at Kernsary, still called Innis a bhaird, or "the oasis of the bard." One of the bard's brothers, named Hector, who had become a crofter at Letterewe, was at a shieling at the Claona (or Slopes), at the back of Beinn Lair, above Letterewe, where he and other crofters grazed their cattle in summer. One day after the battle of Culloden (1745) a stranger, a young Highlander, with yellow hair and clad in tartan, came to Hector's bothie and asked for shelter and refreshment. When the girl gave him a bowl of cream, he drank it off, and returned it to her with a gold piece in it. The news quickly spread among the shieling bothies that the stranger had gold about him. Soon after his departure from Hector's hospitable roof next morning, a shot was heard, and on a search being made the dead body of the young man was found, robbed of all valuables. The murder and robbery were ascribed to a crofter, whose name is well remembered, and whose descendants are still at Letterewe, for from that time the family had money. It is almost superfluous to add that no steps were taken to bring the murderer to justice; the unsettled state of the Highlands at the time would alone account for the immunity of the offender. It afterwards transpired that the murdered stranger had been a valet or personal servant to Prince Charlie, and that he had gone by the name of the "Gille Buidhe," or "yellow-haired lad." He was conveying the gold to his master, which had been sent from France, and it was to meet him that the two vessels had come to Sgeir Bhoora, near Poolewe. It seems he carried the gold in one end of his plaid, which had been formed into a temporary bag, an expedient still often resorted to in the Highlands. A portion of the Gille Buidhe's plaid formed the lining of a coat belonging to an old man at Letterewe in the nineteenth century. Kenneth Mackenzie, an old man living at Cliff (now dead), told me he had seen it.