Author Topic: Help clarifying an ancestor? I'm stuck and don't know how to move forward.  (Read 4165 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help clarifying an ancestor? I'm stuck and don't know how to move forward.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I mean the wedding certificate for William. You should get his father’s name and occupation which would help.

Yes - this is true, but first I would need to confirm which William I am looking for.

Now this might be me but I mean the one who married Mary Ann Jones. Where have I gone wrong?

If you can’t confirm that he is your ancestor, all the searching in Lincolnshire is wasted.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I mean the wedding certificate for William. You should get his father’s name and occupation which would help.

Yes - this is true, but first I would need to confirm which William I am looking for.

What I meant is that there are multiple William Harrisons born in Lincolnshire in the relevant period. How do I know which one is mine? Yes, I can tell later in his life by having a wife with a maiden name of Jones, but that wouldn't help me when trying to find Willam's birth/baptism information, correct?

Now this might be me but I mean the one who married Mary Ann Jones. Where have I gone wrong?

If you can’t confirm that he is your ancestor, all the searching in Lincolnshire is wasted.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Camden -Am I correct in assuming that you have a copy of the 1889 birth of Robert Harrison which confirms his date of birth as 6th June and gives his parents as William Harrison and Mary Ann nee Jones. If so, then this dob looks to tally  with the 1939 register entry for the Robert who was married to Ethel Phillips. 1891 census entry for William Harrison ( wife Mary Ann Jones) says he was born in Lincolnshire - 1901 says Boothby, Lincolnshire. Year of birth varies between 1844/1845.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Camden -Am I correct in assuming that you have a copy of the 1889 birth of Robert Harrison which confirms his date of birth as 6th June and gives his parents as William Harrison and Mary Ann nee Jones. If so, then this dob looks to tally  with the 1939 register entry for the Robert who was married to Ethel Phillips. 1891 census entry for William Harrison ( wife Mary Ann Jones) says he was born in Lincolnshire - 1901 says Boothby, Lincolnshire. Year of birth varies between 1844/1845.
Isobel

1881 Says age 36 born Lincolns.

Occupations - Carter, Dock Lab, Carter 1871-91.  Are these appropriate for Thomas's son who was apparently apprenticed to his father in 1861?  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Isobel

Hi Isobel,

I have a couple things...

First, I have the original copy of Robert Harrison's birth cert, confirming he was born on June 6th, 1889. It is the original copy my family was handed back in 1889, however, so it's just a reg sheet. There are no parents names. But I literally got this from the hand of my grandfather and he got it from his father's things when he passed, so we know for 100% sure that this birthday is correct.

I also have Robert Harrison's marriage cert to Ethel Salter Phillips, which confirms that Robert's father's name was William Harrison. Sadly there is no mother's name information on the marriage cert.

Thoughts?

Camden

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Isobel

An apprentice dock laborer, how fun :/

Yes, dock laborer seems appropriate, but I don'tknow about the others...
1881 Says age 36 born Lincolns.

Occupations - Carter, Dock Lab, Carter 1871-91.  Are these appropriate for Thomas's son who was apparently apprenticed to his father in 1861?  :-\

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
On Robert's marriage cert what is his occupation and address? What is father's occupation - does it say he was deceased? Who were the witnesses? All of this will help in finding the correct census information.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
On Robert's marriage cert what is his occupation and address? What is father's occupation - does it say he was deceased? Who were the witnesses? All of this will help in finding the correct census information.

Hello,

On the marriage cert it shows Robert Harrison as married at 26 years old. His job was a railway shunter (sounds like a fun time). Address looks to say "15 Thorndale Street, Everton."

His father, William Harrison, is not listed as deceased at the time, and his profession is just "laborer."

Witnesses were Henry Phillips, the father of Ethel Salter Phillips, and "the mark of William Dallorzo."

I think it says Dallorzo... kind of hard to make out.

This wedding cert is from 1916.

I don't know if this gives us much more to go on :/

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Still trying to find William in Lincolnshire. As you say there are many.

As has been written, there is a William born abt 1844, Wellingore son of Thomas and Ann in 1851 and 1861.

1871, 1881 shows William b 1844/3, Wellingore married to Fanny and living in Nottinghamshire following a marriage 1867 to Fanny Richmond.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk