Author Topic: John Joseph Victor Boyd  (Read 2132 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Joseph Victor Boyd
« on: Monday 30 October 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
John Joseph Victor Boyd died 6/9/1945 in Musgrave Clinic Belfast. He was a teacher at Newport Elementary school Hilisborough  Co Down.  Born Sept 1887 Limerick. He is on the 1911 Census age 23 at Culcavy Co Down and is Aunt Jane Latham age 57 acts as housekeeper.She returns at some point toLimerick and died there in 1941.

Probate details on Proni 5/2/1946 to widow Ellen Boyd and a William Leatham farmer--who may be a distant cousin in Northern Ireland ?--would like to learn more .

Also very grateful if some one can tell me how to get a copy of  his will and probate  as it might hold clues to addresses.
Interested to learn more about him and any family he had  in Northern  Ireland ( family in Cork and Limerick accounted for)
Unable to find when he married and to whom .
Very Many thanks

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Joseph Victor Boyd
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »

Probate details on Proni 5/2/1946 to widow Ellen Boyd and a William Leatham farmer--who may be a distant cousin in Northern Ireland ?--would like to learn more .

Also very grateful if some one can tell me how to get a copy of  his will and probate  as it might hold clues to addresses.

If you can get to PRONI, you can order up the probate file, which should include the will and the executors’ oaths. Where there’s significant property there is also usually documentation detailing the estate, and some personal information (eg widowed with no children etc).

If you can’t get to PRONI then you can pay PRONI to copy it for you, or you may be able to get a researcher to get you a copy.
Elwyn

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
thanks for this. In England so a trip not on the cards . Could you tell me more about paying them to research it for me please.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
PRONI contact details here:

Phone: 028 9053 4800
Fax: 028 9025 5999
Email: proni@communities-ni.gov.uk

Enquiry form here:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/forms/proni-enquiry

E-mail them with the deceased’s name, date of death and date probate was granted (the files are kept in probate date order, not date of death). Ask if they will copy the whole file (assuming that’s what you want). They will normally quote you a price for the task. You have to pay in advance. They will advise re methods of payment.
Elwyn

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The Valuation revision records show John arriving in Culcavy in 1911. He had house 9b which was next to the school. He was still there in 1914. Can’t tell you how long he remained after that because the relevant page in the follow on book is missing.
Elwyn

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Wonder when he married. Thought there might have been something g about the school  but no success.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the GRONI on-line marriage indexes (which at present go up to October 1942).  I searched for a John Boyd marriage to an Ellen, in the Lisburn registration area but didn’t see one. (Culcavy and Hillsborough are both in the Lisburn registration area). When I widened the search to all of Northern Ireland there were too many John Boyd marriages to make it possible to identify the right one. And of course he could have married anywhere, outside Northern Ireland too. Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so though John may have lived near Culcavy, we don’t know where Ellen came from.

I’d be inclined to get the will from the 1946 probate file and see if any children are named. Then with their names, it should be possible to trace their births and get the mothers maiden name and marriage details that way.

Children’s births in Northern Ireland within the past 100 years are not on-line. The restriction is to prevent data mining.  The records are open to the public but you will either need to get someone to go to GRONI or PRONI in person (they are the only 2 places where you can look more recent births up), or you can get in touch with GRONI by e-mail or phone and get them to search for you. There might be a search fee depending on what’s involved.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
He's mentioned in this write up of the school and he's included in at least one group photo-
It was under the control of the Church of Ireland and Mr J. J. Victor Boyd the first Principal of the school, served for 36 years. Indeed such was the extent of his importance to the area a memorial in All Saints' Church at Eglantine commemorates his contribution to local education and musical life.
http://lisburn.com/history/memories/memories-2005/newport-primary-school.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!