Author Topic: Epson XP442 printer Copying/Printing in too large a font.  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
Epson XP442 printer Copying/Printing in too large a font.
« on: Monday 30 October 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'd appreciate some advice please with regard to my printer output.
I bought an Epson XP442 recently and it's been working fine until I got all clever.

I was printing an address label in the labels section of Word 2016 and when the Font window appeared  I adjusted the size of the font from 12 up to 20 as i needed the address to be larger print.

Unfortunately, I've obviously messed something up because when I tried to copy and print an old letter, it printed out in really large text instead of the regular size 12 font.

How can I get the printer output font size back to as it was?

Can anyone help me with this muddle I appear to have got myself into - I really need to be able to copy and print out a couple of important letters for tomorrow if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Barbara.

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Epson XP442 printer Copying/Printing in too large a font.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Print  an address label in the labels section of Word 2016 and when the Font window appears adjust the size of the font from 20 to 12??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mike Morrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm no expert on printers but it seems unlikely that your printer (when switched off/on) 'remembers' the previous text document settings (labels, font size) and applies these even when issued with new ones for a new print/copy job. I could be wrong.

If in doubt, look for a 'factory reset' option on the printer. Otherwise, print a new couple of lines in Word, setting the document size to A4 and the font size to 12 (or whatever). Text printing shouldn't normally interfere with copying/printing unless you're scanning/copying to a PC and printing from it (as a document or PDF) rather than as an image. In Word, set all print options back to 'normal' (A4), font 12 (or whatever), magnification 100%. When printing, check that all 'print' options such as document/image, magnification, etc. are all 'normal'.

In general, it's Windows (or a specific program) that remembers the previous settings rather than the printer which normally just does what the PC tells it to do.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
That is what I suggested, reverse the last actions.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
For Hallmark and Mike Morrell.

Thanks very much to you both for your help.

I did as suggested and reversed the original procedure - I didn't think I was going to be able to get it right at first because I couldn't seem to find the font window/menu in the label window but after a right click with mouse it appeared and I changed the font setting back to 12 as the default etc and it seems to have worked.

I've copied and printed a letter off which looks as it should with revised setting, so fingers crossed that all is ok now.

Thanks again both for your help and advice, much appreciated.

Cheers

Barbara.

Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.