Author Topic: Death for Christian Simensen Lium  (Read 859 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death for Christian Simensen Lium
« on: Monday 30 October 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find some kind of death or burial record for Christian Simensen Lium. He was born 8 Dec 1846, Liums-eie, Follebu, Østre Gausdal, Oppland, Norway. He married Oliane Olsdatter, 23 Nov 1869 in Østre Gausdal. He left Østre Gausdal 5 June 1880 for America, and sailed on the ship Indiana from Liverpool to Philadelphia, arriving 1 Jul 1880.  Oliane Olsdatter left Østre Gausdal 9 May 1881 for America (with Jorgine Jacobsdatter Lium).  Christian Simensen is listed on a 1885 city directory of Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  In the USA he is listed as Christian/Christ Simensen & Christian/Christ/Chris Lium.  He is on the 1900 & 1910 US census in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  His brother Carl "Charles" Simonsen Lium's widow Oliane Jacobsdatter Simensen Lium (1858-1939) is living next door to or with them.  Christian's wife Oliane Olsen Lium died 28 Aug 1916 in Eau Claire (was listed as Mr. Chris Lium in the "Eau Claire Leader" newspaper), and was buried at Northside Lutheran Cemetery, Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  He is living at that time of his wife's obituary, but I don't see any mention of him after that.  Oliane (Jacobsdatter) Simensen is on the 1920 census for Eau Claire, but I don't see her brother-in-law Christian. 

Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Death for Christian Simensen Lium
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
ancestorsnoop,

Have you contacted the cemetery where his wife was buried to find out if he was buried there, too?

Have you contacted the local library to ask if they have an indexed listing of obits or death notices for that time frame?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Great ideas, I will try them.  I learned that Wisconsin registered deaths after 1907, but I didn't know the date.  After your response I looked again and it sounds like for a $20.00 fee they will do five-year period search for the years October 1, 1907, through 1958.
Yeah, more avenues to pursue! 
Thank you so much! 
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure, ancestorsnoop!

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
There are obituary indexes on the Eau Claire library's website - https://www.ecpubliclibrary.info/genealogy-research/  However, the only mention of Chris Lium or the alternative names seems to be the wife's obituary.

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shellyesq!  Now that is checked off the list, I will try the cemetery next and then the Wisconsin vital records 5 year search.