Author Topic: Archibald Ramsay - Radio Officer  (Read 1451 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Ramsay - Radio Officer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Just a couple of points,
Hugh, the possible reference to RNR is recorded in the remarks on the right hand side of the document. "Rank for award WO to 11/1/43 Sub Lt from 12/1/43" or is this just for admin use?
I note that the award of £1500 was paid in Sterling. If Edwards parents and presumably his NOK were Canadian would not the payment have been made in Canadian Dollars?
I also note that GYDA was time chartered. Hopefully she should have a crew agreement in BT387/24
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11105989.
I think leighton's suggestion, re New Brunswick Newspaper reports concerning the death of Edward Ramsay is worth following up but my guess would be that these would not be acceptable to the CWGC. The last Crew Agreement of GYDA is key to sorting this.
Most, but by no means all, British Radio Officers were not employed by the ships owners but by an independent radio communications company. It may be worth searching the Marconi archives to see if they have any details of Archibald Ramsay.
http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/scwmss/wmss/online/modern/marconi/marconi.html
Not heard from Billy as yet.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the award - not sure why there would be an award for 1943 as the seaman perished in 1940 so I doubt it is relevant.

I agree about the crew agreement and the Canadian newspapers but you are correct any newspaper extract will not be admissible with the CWGC but may give other clues.

I totally agree about the crew agreement - if it has survived, it should give us the information we need.

Clearly stated on the Halifax Memorial as E. Ramsay - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=56172967&ref=acom

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Just an update. I searched the BT387 series with no result. I have emailed the Norwegian Archives to see if they have copies of the original Crew Agreement.
I am given to understand that the Norwegians published in two volumes of Sjøforklaringer fra 2. Verdenskrig Vol. I & II. This listed full crew names and casualties taken from what I believe were copies of original Crew Agreements. So there may be transcription errors. Just hoping they still have the originals.
Also discovered that there was a British vessel with the name GYDA O/N 167564. Ex Danish, registered in London in June 1940. She was deleted from the British register in 1945, no doubt returned to her Danish owners. Need to check her Crew Agreements to see if there is any mention of Edward or Archibald Ramsay.
Thanks to Merchant Navy Association Archivist, Billy McGee for his help and advice on this one.
Will keep you up to speed on any further developments.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022