Author Topic: Oxford Workhouse at Cowley  (Read 1165 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Oxford Workhouse at Cowley
« on: Monday 30 October 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a family of eight children, youngest born May 1899 his mother dying in April 1899. Their father had died in 1894. I do not know who the father of this child was.

I have discovered what happened to the other children but cannot find a baby in the workhouse in Cowley.  Two of his sisters are there and I can only think that the baby is there. What age did workhouses take orphaned children?  I know that generally they took in foundlings etc. but were they not named on the census?
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford Workhouse at Cowley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm being picky but how could the child be born May 1899 when his mother died in April?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford Workhouse at Cowley
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Emeltom, Thank you for being picky.

When I read what I had written, I realised that somewhere I had made an error. I should have typed in Child born in May 1889. He is now not the baby but his twin sisters were.  I now have him aged 11 in the workhouse in Cowley, Oxford.

Many thanks,
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.