Author Topic: Different DNA results between sisters  (Read 3182 times)

Offline vetcan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Different DNA results between sisters
« on: Monday 30 October 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am new here. I did my ancestry DNA through 23 And Me and my sister did hers through Ancestry.com
The results are really different. For instance my results show only 9.6% Italian and hers showed 26% Italian. It also showed her as being 3% West Asian and myself 4.4% Iberian. According to my results i am also French and German, and hers doesn't mention either of these in her DNA results. I am not really sure what to make of this whole thing.
Can anyone help?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Different DNA results between sisters
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
In truth these autosomnal DNA tests do NOT tell you your ethnic ancestry. What they do is tell you what you have in common with their sample populations. As all the companies have different sample populations it would be possible for you to test with the three leading companies and get three very different results.

As to your sister having markedly different results to you, well apart from her using a different company the genes you both inherited from your parents were at random so it is perfectly within reason that she inherited much altered genes from your parents than what you did.

At the end of the day autosomnal DNA isn't really good enough to tell people what their ethnic inheritance is as it is based too much on assumptions and sometimes very small comparison samples. On that score it is best being treated as a bit of fun. It is much better for helping people look for relatives etc
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trying to understand DNA but I have a question which I don't think has been asked on the various threads...

Would identical twins have the same DNA from their parents?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Identical twins should have identical DNA. 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Identical twins should have identical DNA.

Thanks H...

I think this will make things more understandable to others as to why their DNA passed down from their parents is different from their siblings DNA passed down, in simple terms?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
In truth these autosomnal DNA tests do NOT tell you your ethnic ancestry. What they do is tell you what you have in common with their sample populations. As all the companies have different sample populations it would be possible for you to test with the three leading companies and get three very different results.

Personally I found mine to be very accurate, for instance, if I run my autosomal DNA through the admix calculators on Gedmatch, my closest populations are Swedish and North Dutch (Frisian).

Now given that I'm East Anglian with a whole bunch of Viking ancestry, I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Perhaps you should try some admixture tools on Gedmatch?, accurate for most people.

Of course they compare you with existing populations, how else would you do it?
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »

Personally I found mine to be very accurate, .......

Of course some people will get results that they think are accurate, and in some cases they may well be. However, there are an awful lot of people who dispute the results they get and with good reasons. They detail their tails of woe on message boards all over the place. Of course if people get what they wanted to see they will think they are the best thing since sliced bread and that is their entitlement. Still the point is these tests are a pseudo science that trap the gullible and unaware.

Many reputable genetic scientists dispute the wilder claims of these ethnicity DNA tests why not have a good read around I am sure that will be more informative than anything I can say to you here.

Good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »

Personally I found mine to be very accurate, .......

Of course some people will get results that they think are accurate, and in some cases they may well be. However, there are an awful lot of people who dispute the results they get and with good reasons. They detail their tails of woe on message boards all over the place. Of course if people get what they wanted to see they will think they are the best thing since sliced bread and that is their entitlement. Still the point is these tests are a pseudo science that trap the gullible and unaware.

Many reputable genetic scientists dispute the wilder claims of these ethnicity DNA tests why not have a good read around I am sure that will be more informative than anything I can say to you here.

Good luck.

If you have used the analytical tools available, and understand the interpretation, the results you get are pretty accurate. I use the various Admixture Tools on Gedmatch.

Personally, I don't rely on the interpretation by FTDNA, Ancestry, or others.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.  :)
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)