Author Topic: Different DNA results between sisters  (Read 3183 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Different DNA results between sisters
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »

If you have used the analytical tools available, and understand the interpretation, the results you get are pretty accurate. I use the various Admixture Tools on Gedmatch.

Personally, I don't rely on the interpretation by FTDNA, Ancestry, or others.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.  :)

I have over 200 posts on the Ancestral Family Tree DNA Testing board. Perhaps if you read them you would not be so quick to criticise me, and incidentally would not have made some of the assumptions you have about me. Still there you go each to their own.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »

Would identical twins have the same DNA from their parents?

Annie

Identical twins come from one egg fertilised by one sperm, the egg divides into two separate embryos. Therefore their DNA would be the same. This is different to fraternal twins who come from two eggs and two sperm and therefore are no different to two children born separately. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »

If you have used the analytical tools available, and understand the interpretation, the results you get are pretty accurate. I use the various Admixture Tools on Gedmatch.

Personally, I don't rely on the interpretation by FTDNA, Ancestry, or others.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.  :)

I have over 200 posts on the Ancestral Family Tree DNA Testing board. Perhaps if you read them you would not be so quick to criticise me, and incidentally would not have made some of the assumptions you have about me. Still there you go each to their own.

I think you need to take a deep breath and calm down.  :)

I doubt all those individuals have used the Admixture Tools available, or understood them correctly. Clusters overlap and it can be easy to receive the erroneous results.

For instance, I have 4% Ashkenazi Jewish in my FTDNA results, I don't have any Jewish ancestors, but with a little research I learned Ashkenazi Jews overlap with Italians and Greeks. This is because they all share East Med DNA.

Most likely that element of my DNA is from the Romans.

So, in summary, most results aren't totally wrong, it's the tools used and the 
interpretation of the data.
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »

I doubt all those individuals have used the Admixture Tools available, or understood them correctly. Clusters overlap and it can be easy to receive the erroneous results.

For instance, I have 4% Ashkenazi Jewish in my FTDNA results, I don't have any Jewish ancestors, but with a little research I learned Ashkenazi Jews overlap with Italians and Greeks. This is because they all share East Med DNA.

Well I assume you have not read my 200 plus posts that I referred to in my last post or else you would not have posted what you just did.

I am no expert on DNA testing, don't claim to be and never have, however I do recognise when someone is being disingenuous in my opinion. I have invited you to read more widely then you might understand where my criticism comes from, until then there is no point in discussing this with you as you appear to have a closed mind.

Oh and being patronising doesn't advance your argument so perhaps you would like to leave it out next time, should there be one.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 20:32 GMT (UK) »

Well I assume you have not read my 200 plus posts that I referred to in my last post or else you would not have posted what you just did.

I am no expert on DNA testing, don't claim to be and never have, however I do recognise when someone is being disingenuous in my opinion. I have invited you to read more widely then you might understand where my criticism comes from, until then there is no point in discussing this with you as you appear to have a closed mind.

Oh and being patronising doesn't advance your argument so perhaps you would like to leave it out next time, should there be one.

I've not been patronising at all, I listened to your opinion and gave mine in return.

I suggest you do some reading on clusters and how they overlap, it will explain the majority erroneous results. Most ethnic groups overlap each other, some groups are more of a mix than others.

Thank you for your replies :)
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I've not been patronising at all, I listened to your opinion and gave mine in return.

I suggest you do some reading on clusters and how they overlap, it will explain the majority erroneous results. Most ethnic groups overlap each other, some groups are more of a mix than others.

Thank you for your replies :)

I know what I am talking about which is why I mentioned the previous posts in the hope that you would look at them and see for yourself. Assuming that would probably not be enough to placate you, even though there are many posts in those threads by others that support me is why I suggested you read more widely. Alas that has fallen on closed ears, again, and you have just resorted to posting more claims based on your false assumptions. If that is how you want to proceed that is up to you but I do not believe it is helpful to others.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »

Would identical twins have the same DNA from their parents?

Annie

Identical twins come from one egg fertilised by one sperm, the egg divides into two separate embryos. Therefore their DNA would be the same. This is different to fraternal twins who come from two eggs and two sperm and therefore are no different to two children born separately.

I can think of instances (due to a very early mutation in a cell prior to the split) where "identical" twins would differ very very slightly, but I don't think the genealogy DNA tests would pick it up.  That's why I wasn't emphatic about it.  Even all the cells in a singleton aren't necessarily EXACTLY the same.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Personally I found mine to be very accurate, for instance, if I run my autosomal DNA through the admix calculators on Gedmatch, my closest populations are Swedish and North Dutch (Frisian).

Just wondering (referring to the original question)...

Is your reply meaning you have tested along with a sibling of same sex which the original query related to?

If not then your comparison on anything is not going to help the OP...just saying  :D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Why must they be siblings of the same gender Annie?  I don't think the gender matters.