Author Topic: Different DNA results between sisters  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Different DNA results between sisters
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Why must they be siblings of the same gender Annie?  I don't the gender matters.

H...

I do understand your comment but...

In relation to the original question my point was for the comparison of what was asked which was in relation to 2 siblings of same gender & wondering if the findings of ke were in relation to 2 siblings of same gender.

I'm not disputing anything as I know not anything  ::) about DNA but I do think responses should relate to the initial enquiry for comparison for the sake of the OP.

Annie

Add...Ohh, I have just read over the initial enquiry & I had assumed both were of the same sex as it wasn't stated they were of different sex i.e my apologies to ke & yourself!

Maybe the OP should have been more clear on that aspect as I thought ( ???) it more likely for 2 siblings of the same sex to have a closer corresponding DNA match but I guess I'm wrong  :D

Still learning & interested though  ;D
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 05:43 GMT (UK) »
ke's suggestion about trying the admixture calculators at Gedmatch is helpful for the OP.  The OP could try running both kits through the SAME calculator on Gedmatch (rather than using the FtDNA calculator for one kit and Ancestry for the other). 

The gender of the siblings won't matter for admixture.

Offline 4b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 November 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for some of the great info provided on this thread. I didn't realise you could get such different results from siblings - I thought they would be at least close to identical.

I just uploaded my four DNA tests to MyHeritage (free transfer) and these were the results for my father and his sister:

Though I think MyHeritage could do with some tweaking, as there is just too much difference between the two.

I believe these ethnicities are meant to refer deeper ancestry, in the region of about 2,000 or more years ago. Can anyone shed light on that?

As someone with a good dose of non-European ancestry I've found FTDNA and Ancestry's at results to be useful and accurate enough. I don't have much of a paper trial for my non-European ancestors, though it will exist, just in India and I don't know where to start. The most notable addition FTDNA has provided is that I have Jewish ancestry. Many of my close matches are exclusively Eastern-European Ashkenazi Jews in the region of Ukraine and Lithuania. The only way I will ever be able to find the link to these people is via DNA. However, FTDNA's results were a bit more accurate before they switched to their new myOrigins setup.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 November 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for sounding a complete ****, but could you confirm what OP stands for!  I know it might be a generic, 'other person' (in the discussion), or indeed, 'original person' even, but that is just guessing on my part!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 November 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
PS - the word blocked out was not that bad!, (in my opinion), and I was talking about myself in I thought a self deprecating way, so did not anticipate it would cause any offence at all.  Sorry if some do think it so - which they clearly do as it was automatically asterisked on posting!

jane

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 November 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
OP = Original poster.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
PS - the word blocked out was not that bad!, (in my opinion), and I was talking about myself in I thought a self deprecating way, so did not anticipate it would cause any offence at all.  Sorry if some do think it so - which they clearly do as it was automatically asterisked on posting!

jane

I think there are some words which are not allowed to be posted and they are automatically asterisked, so no one would have seen the word to be offended by it.  ;) :)