Author Topic: Sgt. Frederick Thompson DCM  (Read 3374 times)

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sgt. Frederick Thompson DCM
« on: Monday 30 October 17 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on Sgt Frederick Thompson DCM Durham Light Infantry, KIA Sicily 1943, buried in Catania War Cemetery.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt. Frederick Thompson DCM
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
What kind of information?

He was 23 when he died according to cwgc website which also gives his parents names and his wife's name.  That information should help with any research

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead

If you are looking for his service record - please see this link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kzb/

That page has a photo of his headstone.

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 06 Dec 1944

The D.S.M. was presented to Mrs Thompson, wife of the late C.S.M. Frederick Thompson, of the D.L.I. She was accompanied by her sister, Miss Smith, of Humber Street, Chopwell.

Given the above, this looks like a probable marriage registration on Free BMD:
Q2 1939, Durham N.W. 10a 766, Frederick Thompson, Lilian Smith.

Boo

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank You, that's very helpful.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
We aren't allowed to do look ups in the 1939 register, but a free search for Humber Street shows Joseph Smith (born 1905) plus a Frances A Smith and 6 more people plus 2 closed records at No. 9.

Doing a free search by name brings up a Lilian Thompson (born 1920), plus a Joseph Smith and 6 more people plus 2 closed records. Given that her name is available on the register she is likely to have died since the register was taken.

Boo

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »
That sounds correct, Lilian Thompson was nee Smith. Her Husband was the Son of Frederick and Alice Thompson but I have yet to find them living in Chopwell.

Thank you very much for your assistance.
Edward

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate/parish marriage register entry for Frederick and Lilian?

If so, what does it say about Frederick's occupation and address at the time of his marriage? and also the occupation of his father? Any witnesses with the surname Thompson who could have been a sibling of Frederick?

Though Lilian Smith's family seem to have been living in Chopwell for a while, Frederick and his family could have been anywhere in the North East - or even the country! By the time the 1939 register was compiled Frederick may have already been in the army and Lilian went home to live with Mam and Dad - or they could have been living with Mam and Dad before he joined up - or any number of scenarios are 'possible'

The marriage cert may not give you a definite clue, but the only other thing I can think of
 would be his WW2 service record (see Carole W's post for how to apply). Though as they seem to have married in Q2 1939, I'd hazard a guess that Lilian would have been down as next of kin and I don't have enough experience of WW2 service records to know if a place of birth would be mentioned - though a date of birth probably would be.

Boo

If he were mine, I think I'd start with the marriage cert as the cheapest and quickest first option.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick firkle on the web for Frederick and found this:

http://durhamlightinfantry.webs.com/sicily1943.htm

If you do Ctrl and F on that page and search for Thompson there is a paragraph on Frederick and the circumstances which resulted in him being awarded the D.C.M.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
The Evening Chronicle - Wednesday 9 August 1944 has two memoriam notices:

'Thompson (9 Humber Street, Chopwell),
In loving memory of my beloved husband C.S.M. Freddie Thompson, D.C.M. killed in action Sicily, August 9, 1943 aged 23 years.  Always in my heart.  Never to be forgotten by loving wife Lily.

'Thompson (Chopwell). In loving memory of C.S.M. Thompson D.C.M. (Freddie), killed in action Sicily, August 9, 1943 aged 23 years.  Well done, thou good and noble servant.  Always remembered by all at 9 Humber Street, Chopwell.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner