Author Topic: Sgt. Frederick Thompson DCM  (Read 3388 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sgt. Frederick Thompson DCM
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 November 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi hexhamlad,

One idea might be to consider sending the photo of Freddie's grave to the 'North East War Memorials Project.'  This fantastic website is being archived by 'The British Library' and if you sent the photo and any research you have found out about to them then this would help commemorate Freddie's memory well on into the future.  I am sure they would be most grateful to receive a photo from you. 

www.newmp.org.uk

Several years ago I attended a history event and took along a Great War plaque commemorating  one of my own ancestors and a photograph was taken of this for the website.  Then I started to send in information on my own ancestors who had been in the wars - mainly family background.  Since then a lot more information has been added by volunteer researchers and I now have the satisfaction of knowing that the memory of these ancestors will live on and that their sacrifice will not be forgotten.

I now sometimes do voluntary researching myself when I get spare time.  I must say I often find my breath taken away by the stories I come across or find myself totally moved by the stoicism and unsung bravery of those who lived and served during the wars.  I was astounded lately to discover that a dear old man (now deceased) who had been a neighbour and a long time friend of my parents had once carried out a brave act of heroism during the second World War.  He lived quietly and was unassuming and I never knew anything about his brave deed until I came across this when researching old newspapers!

Hopefully, one day one of Freddie's descendants may see your post and be able to contact you for the photograph you have so thoughtfully taken for them.     

I think it is such a shame that so many unsung heroes and heroines are at risk of just being a name carved on stone and getting consigned to oblivion.

Best Wishes :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, the story of the remarkable deeds done by seemingly unremarkable people need to be recorded and credit given for the part they played in keeping us free. I have recently returned from Sicily, having located my Father's grave after a lifelong search and, after attending the re-dedication service, walked round the cemetery (Catania ) and was amazed, not only by the number of graves the cemetery contained but also by the number of those who, like Frederick Thompson, had won gallantry awards. A lot of brave men, they deserve to be remembered.

I will certainly contact the NEWMP and see if they will include Frederick Thompsons details on their website,  thank you very much for your information and assistance.

Best Regards,

Edward

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm following this thread with interest...Edward, is this the story of your father?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/04/british-twins-find-second-world-war-grave-of-father-they-never-met-edward-sydney-graham

If so, congratulations on your tenacity. It must have been an overwhelming experience to know that his grave has at last been identified and to visit it.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,

Yes indeed, that is one of the reports which appeared about the re-dedication service in Catania War Cemetery. The story actually attracted an amazing amount of media interest and went viral with articles appearing in all sorts of newspapers all over the country. I was also interviewed by the local BBC TV, then the ceremony was featured on BBC's 10 o'clock news and while I was on my home I was diverted to Manchester to appear on the Breakfast show. Thankfully, the fuss is now dying down and I can walk down the High Street or go in to the co-op without being stopped every 10 yards !!.

The search to find my Father's resting place took many years and was as much a battle with burocrasy as anything else, the breakthrough came when I was able to find the Grave Concentration Cards, these detail where casualties were uplifted from the battle area for re-burial in an official war cemetery. I was fortunate to have the assistance of a very remarkable military historian and when the information was presented to the M.O.D. they agreed with our findings and done a remarkable job of organising the re-dedication service. I have been extremely fortunate but I know, from letters and e-mails received, that there are many others still engaged on a similar search and I am determined to assist them in any way I can.

Thank You for your kind interest,

Edward

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 November 17 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Thomson is commemorated in Chopwell!

The 1939 - 1945 war memorial is inside St John's Church and his name is on that.
http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6875#listlink
http://www.newmp.org.uk/memorial_image.php?contentId=6875

The names on the roadside war memorial are only from WW1, with the exception of one from the Korean War see http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42094
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information, I will visit Chopwell next week to leave a wreath at the memorial.  Thank You for your interest.

Edward

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
I had a quick firkle on the web for Frederick and found this:

http://durhamlightinfantry.webs.com/sicily1943.htm

If you do Ctrl and F on that page and search for Thompson there is a paragraph on Frederick and the circumstances which resulted in him being awarded the D.C.M.

Boo

Just for information  the link above is no longer active the new link is ;-

https://durhamlightinfantry1920-46.weebly.com/sicily-1943.html

Jim

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 September 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jim, Links do change over time and its frustrating when old posts look promising but the you find the link is no longer valid.

Boo

Offline hexhamlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info, haven't traced Freddie Thompsons people yet but haven't given up hope either.