Author Topic: Help with a will proved 1635  (Read 1761 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a will proved 1635
« on: Monday 30 October 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I have spent several hours transcribing this will but am struggling with some of the wording. This is a relatively new area for me! I would really appreciate your thoughts. I have attached a snippet of the first part, mostly fairly standard wording I think but a reference to his age which is of particular interest. What follows is my transcription; I have kept each line as it is in the original document which I hope will help. Feel free to disagree, correct and advise  :)
In the name of God Amen this first and
twentieth day of November anno domini one thousand six hundred and thirty four, I
Francis Stevenson of Rowsley in the parish of Bakewell  in the county of Derby,
yeoman, being somewhat weak in body by reason of old age and of a more perfect
remembrance than is ordinary with men of my age which is four score and twelve
years or thereabouts, blessed be God for it, do ordain ? ? ? and make this my
 last will and testament in manner and form following viz ?? of all I bequeath and
surrender my soul into the hands of almighty God my glorious creator, redeemer and
??, three in one and one in three who is blessed for ever trusting a ???
For salvation by the only monitto? Of Christ ?? and my body to be buried in
Bakewell church at the direction of my executors hereafter named and for my lands
And worldly goods I do dispose of them as follows. First I give to the poor the sum
Of forty shillings from my will and mind ?? is that my mortuary and funeral expenses

Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a will proved 1635
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Constitute
first, not viz.
sanctifier,

For a start!

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Online Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
assuredly
merrits of Christ Jesus
minde

Steve
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve, some of those seem obvious now! I did say I was a beginner at wills :)
So here is part two!
Shall be discharged out of my whole goods. Then I give unto my much honoured master and mistress
Mr John Manners and his wife to either of them a spunnial?? Item I give and bequeath unto
Francis Stevenson my second son and to his heirs ?? and assignees forever all that my housings
Land at ?? Halker ?? situate lying and being in the parish of Matlock and in the county
Of Derby together with all deeds writings summons? And commodities thereunto in any wise
Belonging or appertaining, also I give unto him the said Francis Stevenson my son
The sum of forty pounds. Item I give unto Thomas Stevenson my third son and to his
Heirs successors? And assignees forever all that my housings and land in the town and
county of Nottingham together with all deeds writings summons and commodities thereunto
and any wise belonging or appertaining. Item I give and bequeath unto my said son Thomas
Stevenson the sum of forty pounds. Item I give and bequeath unto William Stevenson
My fourth son and to his heirs ?? and assignees for ever all that my land on tenemt. (tenements?)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
The first word is "Spurriall" which apparently is a gold coin of James I worth 15 shillings. The name comes from Spur Royal it seems.
The word in superscript is executors and this appears twice lower down after heirs.
The property appears to be at "Hasker als Huskar" - the als with a contraction mark stands for alias - "also known as".
The other word is commons not summons,

Steve
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Old Bristolian on these.

On the first line, the word is 'item' and not 'then'

The last line is 'my land OR tenement'...... - you were correct with tenement.

You are correct in assuming that when transcribing you start a new line in your transcription for each new line of the document.
Here are some other useful (I hope) pointers.

You will notice the formatting on your computer starts each new line with a capital letter - as most of the lines in your transcription don't start with a capital letter, you will have to turn this off - somewhere! I also turn off the automatic 'spellcheck', or you get red lines all over the page!
Paleography experts would now say that old documents should be transcribed as they are written - and the spelling not 'modernised'  - if they get really difficult and not understandable, you can always do a whole 'translation'  afterwards - I had some very old Scottish Sasines that were written in old Scots that nobody else would have been able to make sense of!  :)

So 'son' would be written 'sonne', 'heirs' would be 'heires', 'sum' would be 'summe' 'years' would be 'yeares' etc.
Words we might start with a capital letter - such as 'God' - in this case is written just as 'god' (And in my experience nearly always is).
And there are some words in the first clip the writer starts with a capital letter - such as 'Creator' and Redeemer', which you should keep as capitals.

Good luck!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Steve, you are my new best friend :) I had googled the spurrial word in various guises and had no results that made any sense. He gives away another one to a son in law.
goldie61, thank you for the transcription advice, I will go back through my text and adjust where needed
Here is the next part
Commonly called or known by the name or names of Hearnybotham? In the parish of
Hartington within the county of Derby together with all deeds writings commons and   
Commodities thereunto in any wise belonging or appertaining. Item I give and bequeath
Unto Elizabeth Stevenson my daughter the full and ?? sum of two hundred pounds
Item I give and bequeath unto Luke Ludlam my son-in-law five pounds Item I give
Unto Francis Ludlam my grandchild? The sum of thirty pounds Item I give unto my
Son-in-law George Lees of Ashbourne a spurrial  Item my will and mind is that
Every servant that is in my service at the time of my death shall have a ewe? Sheep?
Item I give and bequeath unto John Stevenson my son and heir and to his heirs
executors and assignees forever all my housings and land situate lying and being within?      
Stanton within the parish of Youlgrave and county of Derby and also all my other land
tenements and hereditaments whatsoever not before by me given and bequeathed together
also with all deeds writings summons and commodities thereunto in any wise belonging
or appertaining Further my will and mind is that the legacies? Also given in this my

Online Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I agree with most of this, except the placename - it's Fearnybotham. The capital "F" is often mistranscribed as ff, but it's simply the normal form for an upper case letter in this period. Within, grandchild, an ewe sheepe and legacies are all correct, apart from the modernised spellings. I'm not sure about the word before "sum"; it reads inst with a contraction mark above. Someone with a better knowledge of contractions may help out,

Steve
Fook, Snell - Devon

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 October 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about the word before "sum"; it reads inst with a contraction mark above.

iust (= just).