Author Topic: Struggling with 4x great grandparents  (Read 3484 times)

Offline Krazykat87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with 4x great grandparents
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Plenty of family names to choose from for potential parents.

Whichever name is not the one appearing on another marriage, could be (not necessarily) a relative possibly married to a sister so it's an avenue to look for a marriage with that name with the surname Wibberley or Dearnally?

Annie

Both witnesses are on the marriage above and booth is also on the one below there’s so I think they may have just had something to do with the church not the people getting married.
Why couldn’t it just have been a family member listed lol
Holmfirth, Austonley, Hoylandswaine etc: WIBBERLEY and FIELD
Marriages from above names to....CROOKS, WHITELEY, KAYE, DEARNALLY
Waterford, Ireland: POWER and SULLIVAN (Osullivan also)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
"Why couldn’t it just have been a family member listed lol"... So frustrating  ;D

This one is difficult for Sarah as there's no Charlotte or Lydia in the names of the children.
Not everyone was baptised & not all records were kept properly or haven't survived?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Maybe worth tracing the children, their marriages and offspring, some may be named after previous generations. This might be one of those 'probable' parents scenarios where you have to take an educated guess based on the naming patterns. It may be worth checking birth announcements in newspapers for any clues, or any wills that may have been left by potential parents. Good luck
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I have one of the booklets sold by the Huddersfield District FHS for Kirkburton baptisms 1795-1812.

Unfortunately, there are actually 4 baptisms for a Sarah Dearnley, all within your time frame:-

born 2.11.1803  baptised 27.11.1803 d/o George & Sarah of Underbank.
born 1.10.1804  baptised 13.10.1804 d/o George & Lydia of Tottins. (Holmfirth chapel)
born 20.5.1805  baptised 5.7.1805  d/o James & Charlotte of Wooldale. (Holmfirth Chapel)
born 18.6.1806  baptised 24.7.1806  d/o John & Mary of Stoney Bank. (Holmfirth Chapel)

The Wooldale one looks favourite but I would be looking to find out where Underbank, Tottins, and Stoney Bank are/were in order to establish that they were a few miles from Wooldale, and also possibly 'kill off' one or more of the Sarahs in infancy. Unfortunately, I don't have a burial booklet.

Hope that's some help and hasn't muddied the waters even more.  :-\

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering...

Was Lot a male or female and if female what was her actual name, could it be short for Charlotte?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Krazykat87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Lot was a male

And yes I had seen more than the 2 options for Sarah but when I went to look to type them up for you I could find the others lol

I no that a lot of births weren’t recorded and only there baptisms were

I am slowly chasing up the children. Lot and Mary seem to have not had children or were married as they are together on all the census details.
Sam married and had a good few children which I have a lot of records for as he is my 3x grey grandad
Hannah married a charlesworth
Jane married
Not managed to trace Alfred,William or Ann yet
George didn’t marry as he lived with lot and Mary most of the time
Just haven’t traced their children as yet

Wills may be the only options but the ones I’ve had so far haven’t given me anything else either. But I guess if I search for wills by the potential parents I can hope that something appears I guess

I do plan to search thru our local papers for the births and deaths but that will be a slow process with me having to go to hudds library to do so

Jill those are the ones for the holmfirth area as well only, the ones I found are just at All Hallows’ church in kirkburton where they married lol
Holmfirth, Austonley, Hoylandswaine etc: WIBBERLEY and FIELD
Marriages from above names to....CROOKS, WHITELEY, KAYE, DEARNALLY
Waterford, Ireland: POWER and SULLIVAN (Osullivan also)

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
in the presence of those two witnesses and the one below has 1 of the witnesses in common

I've seen parish records where nearly every marriage had the same witness(es).  I always assume when only 1 was required (because the couple getting married had provided one witness) it was the parish clerk and when 2 witnesses were required it was the parish clerk and his wife!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »

Jill those are the ones for the holmfirth area as well only, the ones I found are just at All Hallows’ church in kirkburton where they married lol

Holmfirth was part of the Kirkburton parish, with events taking place at the Holmfirth Chapel within that parish. Not sure when it became a parish in its own right.

Added: All 3 places:- Underbank, Stoneybank and Totties are within 2 miles of Wooldale. Going by what Sarah put as her birthplace on some of the censuses, I think the Wooldale birth/baptism must be favourite.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a Derneley in my tree, so this thread caught my interest. Mine are from Lambley, Notts.

I have to confess I've only skim-read the preceding posts, but wondered whether you had already found this extensive website:

http://familytree.dearnley.com/reports/g1/p1254.htm#i12538

Looks like it doesn't directly provide the info you want, but hopefully interesting anyway.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham