Author Topic: Middlesex Regiment pre WW1 and during WW!  (Read 717 times)

Offline Rockbourne38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Middlesex Regiment pre WW1 and during WW!
« on: Monday 30 October 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
An ancestor of mine, 6406 Pte Henry Hillman was shown as a bandboy in the Middlesex Regiment at Woolwich in the 1901 census and a musician in the 4th Bn The Middlesex Regiment at the 1911 census, at Aldershot, where he is shown as single and aged 26. Henry was born at Bethnal Green in 1884, his parents were Henry William Hillman and Ann nee Kelly (born Ireland) and I have searched everywhere on line seeking his death, and looked to find a marriage for him, and searched for him in WW1 records, all with negative results, Is there anybody out there who can tell me where I may find any details about Henry after 1911 when he was at Aldershot with the 4th Bn. I tried to make contact with the Regimental association, (Queens Association)  but their little Captcha window kept taking me in circles, and I was not able to send them a message , just so frustrating, so if anybody can help me, please do so, it would be so much appreciated if I was able to fill this hole in my Hillman family history.
Shufflebottom, Phillips, Stevens, Basing, Vincent, Mowles, Stone, Cribb, Peareth, Davison, Fry, Wise, Peareth, Davison, Lowman

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesex Regiment pre WW1 and during WW!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I am pretty certain that the record for G/1416 Henry Hillman who joined 2nd Battalion the Middlesex in  Sep 1914 and fought throughout the war is your man.
The record shows he was 29yrs 11 months on enlistment, he was a musician and he had previously served in the 4th Battalion.  His service with them had finished in 1912.  He says he was born in Hackney and joined up in Canning Town.  He was living in Silvertown (the sheet is torn right across the road name!!)

Does that sound like him?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
PS  I think he is possibly still alive in 1939 in Poplar, date of birth given as 25 Oct 1884 married to Edith (possibly Kitto born 1887).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 11:01 GMT (UK) »
His 6406 number indicates an attestation date of mid-late 1900.
The G prefix to his second number indicates a pre war regular re-enlisting for the duration so MaxD's man looks good.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/