Author Topic: Suggestions please for orphaned family in Castlederg c1930  (Read 1819 times)

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suggestions please for orphaned family in Castlederg c1930
« on: Tuesday 31 October 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
My Mother told me she was born and raised on a farm in Castlederg in or around 1912 and I have the wedding certificate that shows she married a British soldier in Larne in 1933 with a given name of Sadie Reynolds.
As there is no connection whatsoever to the name Reynolds in Castlederg, it has been suggested to me that it may not have been her real name and I should not look too deeply as I may not like what I find.
I am the youngest son (now age 62) of her four children all raised in England where for whatever reason she hid details of her early life in Ireland very well.
I have hit a brick wall but I can't give this up as my children are asking about their Irish roots and I cannot tell them anything about the 6 brothers and sisters including twin girls, who were orphaned and then split up around 1930 and could have been sent anywhere around the world (possibly twin girls to Canada?).
Where do I go next ?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions please for orphaned family in Castlederg c1930
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
LINK to other topic with added info
Unfortunately your search is at a time that records are not all online or available and change between the whole island of Ireland and split between North and South

However, with what you have to date
Sadie / Sarah married in 1933; marriage certificate states her father was William REYNOLDS, a farmer
Was this in a church or registry office?
If in a church did you contact them in case they have more information that may not have been required on a civil certificate?
Also to ask was this her original parish which may be noted.

This may help
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
".....cannot tell them anything about the 6 brothers and sisters including twin girls, who were orphaned and then split up....."

But what do you know?? Have you names for them?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »
".....cannot tell them anything about the 6 brothers and sisters including twin girls, who were orphaned and then split up....."

All I have is details on the wedding certificate - prior to that its all a total mystery and based entirely on this very brief info she gave me about her life in Castlederg.

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:48 GMT (UK) »
LINK to other topic with added info
Unfortunately your search is at a time that records are not all online or available and change between the whole island of Ireland and split between North and South

However, with what you have to date
Sadie / Sarah married in 1933; marriage certificate states her father was William REYNOLDS, a farmer
Was this in a church or registry office?
If in a church did you contact them in case they have more information that may not have been required on a civil certificate?
Also to ask was this her original parish which may be noted.

This may help

Thank you.
I will try contacting the church of St Cedmas in Larne again.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »

All I have is details on the wedding certificate - prior to that its all a total mystery and based entirely on this very brief info she gave me about her life in Castlederg.

You have no names for the 6 brothers and sisters including twin girls?

Offline cogs291

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 November 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »

No - Please forgive me if this sounds unusual but if I had names, DOB's, places of birth etc; it wouldn't be a mystery and I wouldn't have to resort to asking for suggestions as to where I may find information on adoption or any connection to the name of Reynolds in Castlederg.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 November 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Can't remember if this was asked before but does the 1933 marriage certificate list an address for Sadie?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 November 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »

No - Please forgive me if this sounds unusual but if I had names, DOB's, places of birth etc; it wouldn't be a mystery and I wouldn't have to resort to asking for suggestions as to where I may find information on adoption or any connection to the name of Reynolds in Castlederg.

That is no problem.