Author Topic: Firefox Tabs  (Read 3815 times)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox Tabs
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Apparently using the tools and the Addons you can change the tabs to the side if you want to.  I just prefer them along the top.
Do you mean by installing an add-on, or that there's a built-in command there somewhere? I'm doing without side tabs for the time being so haven't got an appropriate add-on installed, but going to where you suggest doesn't give me a built-in option either.

Yes I tried everything for half an hour before posting....as soon as I posted I found answer  ;D
So what was the answer? I'm apparently in a minority here, but I like side tabs and I can't find where to switch to them.

Aha... It gave me an Extension I did not ask for!! Nor did I download it....grrrrrr
Ah, that sounds as though you might be testing experimental features. This was mentioned in the link I put in Reply #16. I added the link as an edit a little after posting, but as replies were coming fairly quickly it's possible some of you may have missed it. Here it is again: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1180751

As much as possible I try to avoid sending data back to software providers, but often it has to be a deliberate opt-out. The article tells you more about this particular issue with tabs, and how to opt out of the experiment. It seems that my opted out status may have kept me from seeing the side tabs in this case.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 15:58 GMT (UK) »
The Extension gets you the sidetabs option.

I have removed it and now that Icon has gone!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link - I've now installed Tab Center Redux, and while I've still got the tabs along the top, it does now give me the option of seeing them in the sidebar as well - plus previews/thumbnails, which was something else I used to like.  :)

I don't understand how you got it without agreeing to it, though. What I now have doesn't seem to come with the button to move the tabs to or from the side, so maybe yours was an experiment which took the idea a bit further....?  :-\
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know either...just ended up with it!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
called "other bookmarks" ( I use Firefox)

Kimbrey do you have File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help at the top of your Firefox screen?  If so and you click on Bookmarks and go to Show All Bookmarks you should find the ones you have in "other bookmarks".  Put them in whichever order you choose as I described earlier and it should also alter the ones in "other bookmarks".

If you haven't got File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help at the top of your Firefox screen, right click at the top and tick Menu Bar.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 20:32 GMT (UK) »
This thread is great I've learnt loads. Thanks.
I'd quite like the idea of tabs at the side so I'm giving it a go but I don't like having them at the top at the same time.

Ah I see the tabs at the top at the same time is a bug they are working on

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 02 November 17 10:15 GMT (UK) »

Thank you LizzieW - sorted now :)

Kim