Author Topic: Baptised Twice! Hannah Knight christened 31 March 1816  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised Twice!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 November 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there is any rule against being baptised more than once, even in the same religious denomination. It was once common for newborn infants to be baptised by a nurse in the maternity hospital if they were not expected to survive.  If they did survive they could be baptised later in a church. That happened to my grandmother, who not only survived but lived to be 89.

In those cases the second event was their being received into the Church, not a second baptism,.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 November 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there is any rule against being baptised more than once, even in the same religious denomination. It was once common for newborn infants to be baptised by a nurse in the maternity hospital if they were not expected to survive.  If they did survive they could be baptised later in a church. That happened to my grandmother, who not only survived but lived to be 89.

In those cases the second event was their being received into the Church, not a second baptism,.

Maybe in theory, but I think in practice the first baptism was just forgotten or swept under the carpet. What the Church says and what actually happens are not necessarily the same.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 January 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
One of my grandmother's brothers was baptised twice. Once at birth and again in the church a few weeks later. I believe in his case it was because they didn't expect the baby to live.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith