Author Topic: James MILES, baseborn son of Sarah POWEL, Preston on Stour 30th Aug. 1807  (Read 450 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
James MILES, baseborn son of Sarah POWEL, Preston on Stour 30th Aug. 1807
« on: Wednesday 01 November 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The reason I'm posting this plea for help on here is that county boundaries have changed over the years, and Preston on Stour seems to be within Warwickshire today, whereas on 30th August 1807 it was within Gloucestershire, so I wasn't sure on which Lookup Request Board to put it.
So my gt-gt-gt-grandpa (possibly!) James MILES, was baptised there and on that date, baseborn, mother Sarah POWEL.  Now with his surname not that of his named mother, surely the father's must have been MILES.  So what I'd rather like to know, selfishly enough, is whether there were any MILES males recorded in the Parish Records for Preston on S. at that time who might be suspects.  An early 19thC Whodunnit, in other words...
Many thanks in advance if anyone can shed any light on the murky past of 210 years ago,
Keith

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James MILES, baseborn son of Sarah POWEL, Preston on Stour 30th Aug. 1807
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Preston on Stour became part of Warwickshire in 1931. The OPRs for the parish are on Ancestry in the Warwickshire files, they are a bit jumbled and not always easy to read. I had a quick scan of the years 1801-1812 and did not see any Miles other than James. There were a couple of Powell male burials but no detail.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: James MILES, baseborn son of Sarah POWEL, Preston on Stour 30th Aug. 1807
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 November 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Colin,
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to try and untangle the mystery of this for me.  This all helps!
Keith