Author Topic: Robert Cressy bc 1776  (Read 935 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Cressy bc 1776
« on: Wednesday 01 November 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
From the David Cressy topic I know his parents were Robert and Ann Cressy.

In the 1841 census, Robert and Ann are living in Walker Gate (Walkergate), Beverley with his occupation recorded as Glover - presumably a maker and supplier of gloves. (They also had James Cressy 13 y/o living with them and I've found out he was the illegitimate son of Robert's and Ann's daughter Elizabeth)

In the 1829 Pigot's directory he is recorded as being in Walker Gate with occupation of Glover.

I can't find him or Ann in the 1851 census, Can anyone help please?

Also I can't find a death registration or burial for either of them, again can anyone help please?

I'm not at all familiar with Yorkshire or Beverley living as I do on the south coast.  Does anyone know please if Walker Gate was in or on the periphery of the main shopping area of Beverley in 1829/1841, I see that it's not too far from the Minster?

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Cressy bc 1776
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Walkergate is right smack in the centre of Beverley.  These days it runs from Sow Hill (now the bus station) to the junction of Toll Gavel and Butcher Row, parallel in part to Saturday Market. 

I am coming new to this, so if I have misunderstood the posts on David Cressy, or missed something, please forgive me.  But if the Cressy-Kirk marriage in 1838 is correct, the 1841 Robert Cressey cannot be David's father, as he is dead by 1838 (a confusion of generations?).

The Walkergate household in 1841 is in the parish of St. Mary (the church is a stone's throw away) and close to the Walkergate Hospital. I mention this, because an Ann Cressey was buried at St. Mary's aged 84, on 10 Dec 1845.  She was said to be resident in Walkergate Hospital.  This was and is Tymperon House, now a Grade II listed building. There's a picture of the house on the internet and ERY Museums have an old drawing of it in their images collection, also on the internet.

Apologies if you have the following:
I found the baptism of a Robert Crissy at St. Mary's on 29 April 1793, father Robert, a glover.

I have not found a burial for Robert Cressy, though I would have expected it to be at St. Mary's - I haven't had the opportunity to look at the actual parish registers and wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's there, but hiding.

RC is not listed in the 1834 Electoral Roll.

An RC is listed I White's Directory for 1841 at Lees Yard, Toll Gavel.

It occurs to me that it would be a good idea to check ERY archives' online catalogue, but I've already lost one version of this post, I will do that separately.

Hope this helps a bit at least.
Joyce

Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Forgive me if you already have it
Ann Cressey Walkergate Hospital buried Beverley age 84 Dec 10th 1845.
Robert as Creaser 1.1.1845 age 74 Walkergate

Ciderdrinker

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.

I had got Robert Crissy's baptism date of 29 April 1793 but not his father Robert's occupation, being described as a Glover ties in with later information

What I have about Robert/David is as follows:

Possible marriage Robert Cressey to Ann Thompson 11 Jan 1792 at St Mary, Kingston upon Hull, Yorks.  Date is ok for son Robert above but not location unless Ann came from there and they moved to Robert's home at Walkergate.

Children: Robert bap 29 April 1793 at St Mary's & St Nicholas, Beverley
              Richard bap 21 May 1795 at St John & St Martin, Beverley
              Elizabeth bap 23 March 1799 at ditto  #
              Aaron bap 19 April 1803 at ditto
              David bap 24 November 1806 at ditto

# Elizabeth had an illegitimate son James bap 14 October 1827 at St Mary's & St Nicholas

1829 Pigot's Directory
              Robert Cressey, Glover, Walkergate

1838 David married Sarah Kirk at All Souls Church, St Marylebone, Middlesex.  David as servant, David's father Robert a Glover - not stated as deceased - Ann's father John Kirk deceased.

1841 census Robert a Glover and wife Ann with grandson James living in Walkergate.

I then have all David's children.

Robert's and Ann's deaths in 1845 explains their absence from the 1851 census.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Joyce, thanks for the info on Walkergate, I've got a couple of large scale maps of Beverly date 1853 and 1893 from a cousin and I can see Walkergate's position then leading from the countryside into the heart of Beverly.  I see that a number of houses in what looks like Hen Gate at the north end of Walkergate have very formal and large gardens associated with them.

I looked through the 1829 Directory and found that Walkergate housed quite a variety of people from two Esquires, four ladies and a Reverend to a Surgeon and other similar social strata people to 'genteel' tradesmen like Robert to finally 'blue collar' tradesmen such as plumber, painter etc.  Quite a section of society at that time, presumably the more wealthy at the north end working down towards the centre of Beverley.  Looking on Google Streetview many of the houses seem to have remained as was in Robert's period and look very nice.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, must have misread the post on David's marriage. Should've waited till I was a bit more alert.

The ERY museums photo collection has a few pictures of old Walkergate (https://picturearchives.org/eastridingphotos/). As you say, it was a mixed bag. Today Walkergate House is the Register Office.  (Funnily enough, my great-grandfather was a gardener there, according to his funeral notice in 1910). 

There was once a playhouse, too.

If you haven't already done so, check out St. Mary's church.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 November 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Joyce, thanks for the leads on the buildings, I'll certainly have a look at the old pictures of Walkergate and St Mary's

The RC you refer to as being in Lees Yard in 1841 could have been either of Robert's sons Robert and Richard - I'll have a look at the 1841 census to see if there's any clue to a link with 'my' Robert.

I'm trying to sort all this out for a cousin who's inherited some nice jewellery and other items from one of David's daughters, mainly as a way of proving provenance.  My cousin and myself can just about remember the old lady from our pre teens years, she died in 1953 just a very few months short of her 100th birthday.

The Cressy's aren't in my cousin's and my ancestry much the pity as with everyone's help on this topic and the David Cressy one we've learnt so much about the family, far more that our ancestors most of whom are vague to say the least.