Author Topic: Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872  (Read 3301 times)

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872
« on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Researching my ancestors in Manchester was stunned to discover the reason they were missing in the 1871 census is they had emigrated to Hawaii c1865, returning in the 1870s. George Roberts b1838 Hulme, Manchester who was a fitter/engineer (probably beer related) re-appears in the 1881 census with his wife Frances and four of his children listed as being born on Sandwich Island (1865 to 1872/3), 1891 census says Sandwich Islands Hondala, later census info confirming this as Hawaii.

My mind boggles as to why and how the family got from Manchester to Hawaii in 1864/5 - the trans continental railroad wasn't completed until 1869. I am curious to discover more about this migration and why they came back too. So far I have drawn a blank, there doesn't seem to be any Hawaii census info before 1900, and as I usually search UK records I am really struggling to understand what records are available for Hawaii.

George is later described as a Beer Retailer as well as an engineer, and his father Elias was a publican and ran the Wellington Hotel in Hulme. So were they there to build a brewery or distillery?

The children born in Hawaii were George Roberts 1865, Thomas (Tom) 1869, Frederick (Fred) 1871 and Alice Maude Eliza 1873. However other members of the Roberts family may have gone out there and stayed, and I am not sure how I would tell. Any insights into this curious part of my family history would be welcomed.

Steve

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hondala

Honolulu
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
That's really fascinating.

I wonder if they appear on a US census in 1870?  Found this passage entry.

George Roberts 24
Liverpool to Honalulu
Ship name Mercia
date 14 Feb 1865

think it says wife and 2 children and his occupation a fitter - could be your George

Did he have 2 young children by then age 4 and 11 months?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Yes - I think he did have 2 children. John Roberts was born 1861, and Thomas christened 4th September 1864. So they sailed direct from LIverpool to Honalulu, presumably via Cape Horn, and with a young child and babe in arms. Thats one heck of a long journey.

So that answers the question about the trans-continental railroad - they sailed all the way.

Any other Roberts on that ship, or other passengers who's trade I might be able to look up?

Steve

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes there are other passengers with trades "smith" "fitter" "boiler maker" also other young children and a couple in their 60's.   

At the top it says "the British Barque (guess that's type of vessel) "Mercia"

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:23 GMT (UK) »
What goes out must come back so there must be a record of them returning if they are back in England in 1881. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes there are other passengers with trades "smith" "fitter" "boiler maker" also other young children and a couple in their 60's.   

At the top it says "the British Barque (guess that's type of vessel) "Mercia"

Yes, thought it might be a Barque for that sort of trip, but can't find details of a Mercia in 1865. Incidentally the babe in arms, Thomas, didn't survive very long as they came back with a child Thomas born in 1869. John however did survive the trip, and was married in Manchester in 1884.

The trades do suggest some sort of engineering enterprise. I wonder if the people in their 60s were the bosses. I haven't found any suggestion that it was military so I think strictly commercial.

Steve

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Could take me a while, but I have found the Pacific Commercial advertiser is available on-line, and the March 18th 1865 edition is advertising goods for sale ex Mercia. This will potentially give fascinating insights to life of Brits in Hawaii back in 1865. There is a Honolulu Distillery Company as there is a notice that on 26 July 1865 the partnership of Geo Galbraith, J Vernon and Thos Warren is changed to just Thos Warren. It is operational as they list the spirits as being sold by Janion, Green & Co.

Steve

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thos W Warren appears again. Advertising the Oahu Brewery is now in full production of Lager Beer, dated 30 Sept 1865. Wish I knew how to upload an image.

Steve