Author Topic: Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872  (Read 3301 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 November 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Have found that George Robert's wife Frances and 4 children (of 5 surviving) departed Hawaii on 20th March 1873

Interesting. That was the day of the auction of the house at Emma Street and its contents.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 November 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. That was the day of the auction of the house at Emma Street and its contents.

That doesn't leave much time to settle up.

I have looked back as far as the previous August and not found him in passenger lists. I wonder if as a former Chief Engineer on the Kilauea he managed to get signed on as crew for the trip in exchange for his services (even though DC Murray was a sailing ship there would have been a lot of engineering in the steering and maybe power winches etc.). That still leaves one child unaccounted for. Alternatively he may have travelled 'steerage' and not been listed. It would be a bit tough on his wife to make such a long journey with three young children and a babe in arms, so I suspect he was there with her.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 December 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe this has been mentioned?  Could this man be your George as well?

Sailing from Hiogo*, Japan to Honolulu, Hawaii on board the Miranda, arriving 4 December 1869
Geo Roberts, age 31 - England.  Machinest

*Could it have been Hyogo?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)