Author Topic: Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872  (Read 3333 times)

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester to Hawaii c1865 returning to Manchester c1872
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I see from 1901/1910 census that George's son George b1865 Honolulu, is a Licensed Victualler in Ashton Old Road, Ardwick. Father in 1901 was publican in Ashton New Road.

I have had no joy tracing the Wyvern. Maybe it got renamed, but a classy yacht like that should be recorded somewhere.

Steve

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
From the North Wales Chronicle of 8 October 1881:

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 November 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 November 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
That yacht was built by Thomas Brassey's company - now there is a man who deserves to be better known.

I wonder where the Roberts are buried. Could be worth a trip if there is a family plot somewhere, but I seem to be finding death records rather than burial records.

Steve

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 November 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Elias is buried in "Greater Manchester" per deceasedonline.com  - it will cost you a couple of quid to get the details.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
That's strange, I did a search on there expecting to have to pay to get the details, but it only found one hit and that was in Edinburgh - have just done it again with the same result. So looked to me like they didn't cover the area.

The graveyard where my relatives in Ardwick/Chorlton were buried is now a car park or similar. All traces removed except a marker stone, but that was the other half of my family.

Steve

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
That's strange, I did a search on there expecting to have to pay to get the details, but it only found one hit and that was in Edinburgh

So you didn't see this one?

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 November 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Nope - but I see what I did now - I didn't spot it wanted the surname first, then the forename. If you look for Roberts Elias instead of Elias Roberts you get the one in Edinburgh.

While looking through the Pacific Commercial Advertiser for 1868 I realise that the journey of George Roberts and his family to Hawaii of 147 days was pretty fast - the journey of the Prussian Barque Wilhelm from London to Hawaii via Cape Horn in 1868 took 264 days - delayed by bad weather at Cape Horn they eventually had to put back in to the Falklands as half the crew had developed scurvy and as a result they were unable to work the ship in bad weather. I assume the Mercia took the same route, but sailing round Cape Horn is never for the faint hearted.

Offline CheshireSteve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 November 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Have found that George Robert's wife Frances and 4 children (of 5 surviving) departed Hawaii on 20th March 1873 aboard the American Barque D.C Murray, under Captain Shepherd, destined for San Fransisco. This from Honolulu information published in the Pacific Commercial Advertiser. No doubt their return journey would take advantage of the transcontinental railroad which was completed in 1869, and far better and faster than returning via Cape Horn. I haven't yet discovered whether George had gone ahead, or needed to remain behind until the auction of their house and contents was complete. I can find no record of him departing over the next month, so maybe he went ahead. The San Francisco passenger lists don't seem to exist before 1890s.