Author Topic: In a pickle with my Samuel Ikins!  (Read 979 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
In a pickle with my Samuel Ikins!
« on: Wednesday 01 November 17 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I have my George Ikin (Eykin, Eakin etc) baptised in 1712, the son of Samuel Ikin of Tlistock.

Samuel married Martha Llewellin in Prees in 1710. So far, so good...

When looking for Samuel's baptism, I came across an Obligation signed in 1708 by both Samuel Ikin senior, a labourer of Tilstock, Whitchurch and Samuel Ikin junior, a labourer of Prees, to provide for a bastard child of Samuel junior and Joan Powell.

Unfortunately, the ony likely baptism I can find for Sam jnr is in Whitchurch 15 Apr 1679 s/o Sam - unfortunately its a page where the clerk didn't put where the father was from. This appeared to be the right chap, except there is also a burial entry 3 days later for the same Sam s/o Sam.

I can't find any other likely baptisms. Am I missing something here? Any ideas? (Incidentally, I looked for a baptism for the 'bastard child' but couldn't find one).

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: In a pickle with my Samuel Ikins!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Forgive me I don't know Shropshire well
There is a Will of Samuel Ekin/Ekinde for 1726 at Condover with children John,Elizabeth Elinor and Samuel.Brother in law Robert Clayton.
But that may be a red herring.

There is also a marriage at Whitchurch of Samuel Ikin and Martha Gregory of Tilstock 22 Feb 1700.

Possible parents marriage at Whitchurch Samuel Ikin and Mary Simpson 29 Sep 1673 also gives no details of where they are from.
I went through the baptisms manually and the nearest I could find was Samuel Ely  26 May 1688 son of Samuel and also 7 Sep 1791.

Dad would be the one born 21.1.1651 son of William Eikan at Whitchruch.
Burials at Whitchurch for Samuel Ikins -14 Sep 1725 of Tilstock
None of which helps.
Have you tried the Shropshire Hearth tax to look for Ilins/Eykins etc and see where Samuel senior could be ?

Sorry  buts that's all I can think of

Ciderdrinker

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, ciderdrinker. Sorry it took a while to reply - I swear a little gremlin crept into my computer at the dead of night and half-inched your post from my inbox!

It was good of you to go to so much trouble. There are so many Ikins in this area - and, seemingly, none anywhere else. For some reason, they all semmed to like the name Samuel. Just to complicate matters, I have yet another Samuel Ikin in a branch in the same area. I suspect they may have been cousins.

On the face of it, I don't think the Ikins in Condover are mine, and it is over 20 miles away, but it is a possibility so I've made a note of it.

I have my Sam Ikin snr marrying Mary Simpson in 1673 and having or not having a Sam jnr who survived infancy but whose baptism is missing. Mary died in 1700.I have Sam snr remarrying in 1701 to Martha Gregory.

I think there is a well established family of Elys in the area as well.

I haven't tried the Shropshire Hearth Tax - is it online anywhere, do you know?

Thanks again,
Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill
There is a little booklet Hearth Tax of 1672 .
It's availible to search on Google books but it gives you the references and then doesn't let you look at them.
Wouldn't you know it!

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Shropshire_Hearth_tax_Roll_of_1672.html?id=_pBwnQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Not sure of your location but perhaps you could get a copy through your Library

Ciderdrinker