Author Topic: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch  (Read 19804 times)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

I have a relative buried at Eastern Necropolis with the same information as yours in the interment book.  I just thought 'dressed' meant the burial plot had some kind of decoration on it eg. flowers etc but I also found this explanation in a document that describes grave markers:

'dressed - referring to stone whose surface has been completely smoothed or otherwise finished'.

Maybe someone else can confirm but hope that helps for now!

Regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline smithbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea, thanks for the reply.

I've heard of "dressed stones" which I always took to mean sculpted flat/smooth, but if that was what it meant in the Interment Records, then what would the difference be between a "Private" Lair (possibly with a dressed headstone) and a "Dressed" Lair?

I was wondering if it related more to the ground itself eg. dressed with some kind of 'surface' (eg. grass which gets mowed and maintained). Whereas perhaps "Common" means a plot with multiple burials where the groundsmen don't even maintain it - its "un-dressed" ground perhaps and just grows wild??

Either way, I supposed "Dressed" and "Common" are pretty much the same thing nowadays ie. unmarked.  And if Glasgow City Council are anything to go by, very probably neither are maintained and just grow wild!

Bill