Author Topic: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch  (Read 19806 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I could wish that they had not indexed these burials using the recent (and in some cases ephemeral) local authority areas, because this is bound to confuse people who are not familiar with the evolution of local government in Scotland.

'Strathclyde', for instance, was the name of a regional authority established in 1975 and abolished in 1994 or it might have been 1995. Even while Strathclyde Regional Council was in existence, burials were never part of its remit. Burial grounds in Glasgow remained the responsibility of the City of Glasgow council, and they still are.

Also, even while the short-lived Regional Councils existed, even the Royal Mail did not use them as part of postal addresses. They retained, officially, the historic county names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,    I understand there ws an outbreak of Typhus and Cholera between 1845 and 1850 when 2-3,000 Glasgow people perished, mostly in the Calton area.   Would anybody know if they were buried in a common grave(s), perhaps at the northern necropolis and if there are records of death/burial anywhere.   I cannot find anything on Scotland's People - might just be a year or so too early.
Statutory civil registration started in Scotland on 1 January 1855. Before then, recording of deaths was very patchy. So yes, epidemics between 1845 and 1850 are 5 to 10 years too early.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
You might be lucky enough to find some of your cholera epidemic people in the OPR. I found one of mine & he was at the top of a page of people who died of cholera & were buried in common ground. I was lucky that his forename was relatively unusual.

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 07:41 GMT (UK) »
AMENDMENT!!  Should have said the receipt numbers correspond with:

Daily interment books, February 1944-1995. Daily lair books, nos. 1-6141, ca. 1800-1970.

and NOT the Weekly Interment books as previously posted!

Sorry for the error,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you CD. Just wish I had not found your post today, but I will be strong and not spend time until after I have done everything else. isk

Offline Brian Mcculloch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for this information. It owuld certainly help me find out about some of my ancestors which I have been trying for a long time.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
@ Tom Wyllie,  the epidemics in the East End followed the Irish famine & folk went down like ninepins. The scandal of the mass-graves in private burial-grounds in built-up areas was why the city bought land for municipal cemeteries. Will find you the article on this. Shocking stuff!

http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/1849cholera.htm

Skoosh.

Offline PCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 June 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
I followed the link only to find that the microfilm is not available online but at a family history centre in Salt Lake.  I’m not sure why the difference. 
Gillan, Kennedy

Offline smithbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 September 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
With regard to the Sighthill Cemetery Daily Interment books:

Can anyone confirm for me what it means when  "No." "Class" "No. of Scrip" "Name of Lairholder" "No. of Lair" "Depth of Feet" and "Private" are all BLANK and there is a entry of £1.1s.0d in the column for "Interment Fees, dressed" but the last column of "Common" is BLANK

So its looks to me that the burial has the fees associated with "Dressed" but "Private" and "Common" are blank.

So what is a "Dressed" burial as opposed to "Common"?  Does it mean the burial is in a proper grave plot only its unmarked?  Its not a "Common" grave with multiple deceased in the one 'pit'?

He was a soldier in earlier life - would it indicate a military grave perhaps?

Bill