Author Topic: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch  (Read 19818 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch
« on: Thursday 02 November 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Forgive me if this is known already.  It was however a revelation to me! Currently trying to do some Glasgow research and in the throws of planning a trip to the Mitchell Library. I phoned yesterday in order to ask a couple of questions and was rather surprised to find out that there are a number of cemetery burial registers now available on FamilySearch.

The pathway is Familysearch >Catalog>Place (put in Glasgow and select Scotland, Lanark, Glasgow)  Then press "search".  From this list now select Cemeteries (39)  You should now have a long list of various cemeteries.  Select for example Sighthill - you'll find quite a long list of Daily Interment books.  However only those with the image of a camera are viewable.  Those with an image of a film canister are not.   These are only searchable by date, however if you know the dates you are looking for there is a tremendous amount of information to be found.  A bit of hunting about but very 'do-able'. Personally I was pleased to find many films for St Kentigerns available.    Needless to say tea was late last night. 

Hoping this is useful and that I am not the last to find this out.... :-[

CD

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Some Glasgow Burial Records available on Familysearch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bany_place%3Aglasgow~&collection_id=(2026973%202221801)

You can search by name/place on the above link(BillionGraves index , Find a Grave Index).

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev

They don't all seem to be on Billion Graves, Find a Grave, memento mori etc.  Certainly I found four of my ancestors yesterday and NONE turned up when I had previously searched these databases.   At least there are options!

Kind regards
CD

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much CD, I just found my Great Grandmother's burial record!  I knew she had been interred at Janefield cemetery and I had even paid Memento Mori to search for her burial plot/headstone/grave to no avail.  Even if there is now no determining marker, I at least know where she was placed at the time.
Cheers!
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 17 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CD

Just marking this post so I can refer back to it when I have time as my Wife's mothers ancestors for many generations were all Glaswegians.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thanks for your comments.  I'm really pleased the information has been useful to you.  I still have 3 more relatives to find and I think they are in common graves in St Kentigerns.  Unfortunately for me those films which I would need to check don't seem to be viewable at the moment.  Hopefully soon!

Kind regards
CD

Offline tomwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 November 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,    I understand there ws an outbreak of Typhus and Cholera between 1845 and 1850 when 2-3,000 Glasgow people perished, mostly in the Calton area.   Would anybody know if they were buried in a common grave(s), perhaps at the northern necropolis and if there are records of death/burial anywhere.   I cannot find anything on Scotland's People - might just be a year or so too early.

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a bit more useful info to this thread...

...if you find an image of one of your deceased family members in the Daily Interment Books, take a note of the Receipt Number (usually found in the column after cause of death).  Then go to the 'Weekly Interment Book & Weekly installments made on Lairs' link (if images are available) and search for that receipt number. It may take a little searching to find the right image number (the ones I found were in numerical order) but once you find it, it will list ALL family members buried in that lair/plot!

While many of the images for the burial of these people may not be available individually in the Daily Interment books, they will appear in these images!  This is the case for the Eastern Necropolis anyway so I'm not sure those details will be available for all the Glasgow cemeteries or not. 

Finding this has been a goldmine for me as it has provided details of family members whom I didn't even know existed and clarified some important dates.  It really is a great source and starting point for family history in preventing hours and hours of unecessary research on someone who is already dead (I mean that in the nicest possible way  ;D).

So thanks again CD for sharing about this, it has been an incredible help to my family history research!

Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Thanks for your message with your additional advice. Very helpful!  So glad the post has been useful.

Like you, having looked at some of the entries from other burial grounds I just the thought the amount of information was amazing.

CD