Author Topic: John Jones b.1851 Llanrhos married to Ellen Jones b.1861  (Read 624 times)

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Jones b.1851 Llanrhos married to Ellen Jones b.1861
« on: Thursday 02 November 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Some of you will remember me posting at length some months ago about my ancestor John Jones born in Llanrhos at Marl Smithy on Marl Lane.

For months, if not years, I thought he might have gone back to his roots there living at a property called 'Bryn Gwilym' across the road from the smithy.  Well he is the last Welsh ancestor I am searching for as I have found most of
the ones I am interested in and I sent off for a death certificate I thought may have been him - today having received the certificate unfortunately I am disappointed to find out the wrong Jones family lived there within the time frame I am wanting. So on we go......

John b.1851 was one of 4 sons born to John (his father) and Ellen (his mother) and I have found out what happened to 3 of the other sons. John married in 1899 in Llanellian yn Rhos church where he was apparently living at the time in the vicarage and was a gardener there. His wife was called Ellen Jones (just like his mother - so confusing) and in 1901 they lived in Llanrhos but in 1911 census were living at  Seaview Terrace in Colwyn Bay. I don't think there were any children born as he was 47 and his wife was 38 at that time but it's a possibility of course. As Ellen was a lodging house keeper and this Bryn Gwilym was a house offering rooms to let this led me to think he might have gone back to Llanrhos where he was born and where his parents and grandparents are buried. So far I have no proof.

There were a family called Jones living at the above property and I sent off for a death certificate for a John Jones who died there in 1923 aged 72 (jobbing gardener) with a son mentioned as being at the death called William. (one of John's brothers was called William b.1858)  It's so confusing because I haven't found any offspring for John and Ellen.  Has anyone any ideas as to where I can go from here........

Thanks Sue x