Author Topic: Grimsby town hall county court clerk job  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grimsby town hall county court clerk job
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 November 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
In my experience, C.C. in the census normally stands for Commercial Clerk, suggesting someone employed in a business environment.

Yes, I think you're right. :)
[/quot
Brilliant thankyou to you both

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 November 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
On that thought, could I assume that a clerk would be a well educated person? Would a clerk have had to have qualifications in such a job and was it a common job for a woman as well as men?

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 November 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Obviously, there would have to be competency in literacy and numeracy, but I doubt there were any formal qualifications needed to enter the job.  School leaving age was actually only 11 at that time, I've no idea if you could stay on longer.  Perhaps they were privately educated to a later age.

Perhaps Ada managed to get in because of good standards set by her brothers, I usually imagine clerks to be men.  No idea if the term Clerk would include typing which was coming in at that time. 

I note that the brothers had "moved on" to other trades by 1901.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Gwen in gozo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 November 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Obviously, there would have to be competency in literacy and numeracy, but I doubt there were any formal qualifications needed to enter the job.  School leaving age was actually only 11 at that time, I've no idea if you could stay on longer.  Perhaps they were privately educated to a later age.

Perhaps Ada managed to get in because of good standards set by her brothers, I usually imagine clerks to be men.  No idea if the term Clerk would include typing which was coming in at that time. 

I note that the brothers had "moved on" to other trades by 1901.

thanks