Author Topic: New TV series about family history and DNA  (Read 4414 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New TV series about family history and DNA
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 November 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »

That shows just how little I know about DNA, I thought you had to swab inside your cheek not spit in a container.  See, I've learned something already.

It depends on which company.  FamilyTreeDNA uses swabs but Ancestry uses spit.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 November 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
They are both the same bodily fkluid - just different ways to collect it.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has missed this, its repeated several times this week. Wedneday, Friday, Sunday  ::)
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I watched it last week on Demand,even before it was actually on W  ;)

One of the stories they used DNA and the other was just a case of using BMD and electoral rolls really.

I wish it was Davina though  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I spotted this and thought it may be of interest to Rootschatters.

The Secrets In My Family is a 6 part series starting on Monday 6th November at 9pm on W Channel.  The show, in partnership with Ancestry, uses DNA testing to uncover family history mysteries.

https://w.uktv.co.uk/shows/secrets-my-family/

I've never come across this Channel... Is it on regular TV, - or some obscure Channel on Sky?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »

https://w.uktv.co.uk/shows/secrets-my-family/

I've never come across this Channel... Is it on regular TV, - or some obscure Channel on Sky?

Romilly.
[/quote]

It's on Sky or Virgin.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I watched this last night, but don't think I'll bother again. It was very hard to see where the DNA bit came into it. The young lady with the dad who'd left her when she was a baby didn't even resort to DNA at any part of the search. It was all done by a genealogist in no time at all. I reckon most of us on here would have found him pretty quickly as well.

The young lady in the last 15 mins of the programme had a DNA test along with the man who she discovered was her father. Nice outcome for them both, but hardly anything more than what's been available for years.

The most interesting section was about the drummer. There was an actual 2 minutes of insight into what his DNA profile had shown up re his belief that his father was Jamaican but the profile turning up only various regions of Africa. The explanation was fascinating. However, it did him no good because the 1st cousin who had been discovered hadn't responded to his request to make contact - so, as far as the DNA bit was concerned, not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I just got the impression that W had cottoned on to all the tears and hugging from the BBC programme and decided to hang their own version very tenuously onto DNA profiling. Alex Jones did okay but the programme was very average and, given that I hate all that public emoting, I shan't bother with it again. I can never quite forget that these people are doing all this in front of a camera crew, so how genuine can it be?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ Not sure if NZ'rs will get to see that series eventually, we've just had first episode of second series of a local production DNA Detectives https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/dna-detectives ... it's a reasonably interesting and entertaining watch. They must have limited dna to work from but seem to work out a percentage of markers noting ethnic matches and send each of the 2 per episode off to faraway places to connect with distant relatives by arrangement, occasionally closer connection with something like 2nd cousin. Sponsored by Ancestry DNA ...

ps ... hosted by Richard O'Brien ( Rocky Horror Picture Show ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O%27Brien

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Just a big advert for Ancestry. Not very exciting. As already said ,Rootschatters could have done this just as easily.

Andrew
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal