Author Topic: Agnes Fair Graham Robertson  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Agnes Fair Graham Robertson
« on: Thursday 02 November 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to help my friend locate the information about her ancestor Agnes Fair Graham Robertson born 1928 in Glasgow. Her parents were Agnes Graham and Andrew Ritchie Robertson.
We aren’t sure if this lady is still alive.
We think her brother Thomas Paul Graham Robertson may have been her twin.
She married James Sutherland Kerr in 1949.

I’ve tried Ancestry and Find My Past but nothing. I’m not familiar with Scottish records, so if anyone can help in any way, that would be amazing.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Fair Graham Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to help my friend locate the information about her ancestor Agnes Fair Graham Robertson born 1928 in Glasgow. Her parents were Agnes Graham and Andrew Ritchie Robertson.
We think her brother Thomas Paul Graham Robertson may have been her twin.

The births of both were registered in 1928 in both Partick and St Rollox. This means that they were not born in the district where their parents normally lived, so the births were registered twice.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.go.uk and register. You can view the indexes free of charge, but you cannot view these birth certificates online because they are less than 100 years ago.

However you can view the marriage certificate of Andrew Robertson and Agnes Graham because they were married in 1924, and the cut-off date for viewing marriages online is 75 years.

To view it you will need to buy some credits, but it will costs only 6 credits to view the marriage, which works out at £1.50 - less than a cup of coffee!

Agnes Fair Graham Robertson married James Sutherland Kerr in Partick in 1949. This is less than 75 years ago so you can't view it online.

Thomas Paul Graham Robertson died in 1988. Again, you can't view this online because the cut-off for deaths is 50 years.

If you want to see the information on the certificates after the cut-off dates, you can order official copies, or you can try to find someone who is able to transcribe the information for you.

I’ve tried Ancestry and Find My Past but nothing.
No, there wouldn't be anything on either of those. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. As I currently haven’t discovered any ancestors in Scotland, I’m unfamiliar with they processes etc, so your info is very helpful.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline mantharobertson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the help... we have found her! Sadly she passed away in 1980... how do I now find her grave? I have her death certificate.

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I think it’s worth finding out where the cemetery’s are in the area where she died first. Someone on here maybe able to help with that. Then there’s Find A Grave, but they haven’t got every grave yard. She may not even have a headstone  :'(

Offline mantharobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Agnes Robertson/Kerr - Partick
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've managed to track down this lady's death certificate but now need to find out where she's burried. She died in 1980 in Partick. Any help greatfully received.

Threads merged to prevent duplication.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
If you have the date in 1980 that she died then you could check for death notices in either the Glasgow Herald or Evening Times which are both available free at google newspapers.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline mantharobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
She died July 27tn 1980 at the Southern General, death cert has her as Agnes Ritchie Kerr nee Robertson age 51

I tried that but couldn't figure the search out... will have another try.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  :)

In respect of newspaper searches:

The main free Glasgow newspaper archives available currently to view online are for the Glasgow Herald, issues range from 1800 - 1990. More issues continue to be added. The only problem is that you cannot search editions by key words, so you have to know what dates to check before starting a search. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC - simply add year for search to see what issues may be available (insert a year in 'Date' box).

Also, Evening Times - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2mus-XyGPC0C

You have a death date so this should help you searching specifically for a few days after her death date.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk