Author Topic: Mary Ann Hunt b. abt 1800  (Read 1280 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Hunt b. abt 1800
« on: Friday 03 November 17 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Trying to establish birth record for Mary Ann Hunt born around 1800.
She married Edmund Hunt (same surname) 5 June 1819 in Bawdrip (both of that parish) with consent of parents (so she must have been under age - under 21? because he was already 25). They had son George 12 Dec 1819 born in Bawdrip.
I can't find a birth record for her.
I think, but haven't confirmed, that they must have moved to Weston Zoyland and had 3 more children
Edmund 1821, Alfred 1824 and Eliza 1827
My concern is the mother's name was Mary not Mary Ann for the three latter births so can't be sure,  but can't find marriage for another Edmund and Mary in the area.
Any help would be appreciated
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Hunt b. abt 1800
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
A Samuel Hun (Hunt?) was a Witness to the 1819 Marriage.

I see no problem with Edmund/Alfred and Eliza being children of Edmund/Mary Ann married in Bawdrip.
Their Baptisms have the same occp for Edmund as Georges 1819 Baptism.

EDMAND Hunt was buried 28 Feb 1828, St Mary, Western Zoyland, age 34***

I did find a SAMUEL/SARAH Hunt baptisied an ELIZA 8 Oct 1815 WZ.
He was an Innkeeper.
(may be useful in the future)

Alfred is visiting his Sister Eliza in 1851 Census, now Mrs Small.

Have you managed to find all the Children in 1841 Census?

As Edmund died young have your found a remarriage for Mary/Mary Ann?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
F/S has a MARY ANN Hunt christened 24 August 1800 Bedminster, Somerset to SAMUEL/SARAH
Birth 9 July 1800

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census has a SARAH Hunt born c 1767 Mondip (image Mendip) living with her Daug ELIZA Lockyer and Family in Lydeard St Lawrence, Somerset.
Eliza is born c 1815 Somerset which works with Baptism I found.
How sweet Sarah is Widowed and occp Lady.

1841 Census
Bishops Lydeard
Samuel Hunt, 65, Farmer
Sarah Hunt, 65
John Hunt, 30
Samuel Hunt, 13
Samuel age 13 is likely a Grandson

FreeREG has a Burial of a SAMUEL Hunt 1842 BL, age 71 (birth c 1771) and SARAH Hunt 1854 age 83 (birth c 1771)

ELIZA Hunt married James LOCKYER 12 Oct 1834 Taunton (FreeREG)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 17 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish
The Samuel/ Mary Ann Bedminster connection looks very plausible. Bit of a distance from Bawdrip but still Somerset based. So I think that's likely to be my 2x Gt Grandmother!
Of Edmund and Mary Ann's 4 children I have a lot of info on Alfred 1824 (my Gt Grandfather).
He married Emma Coles and they had 11 children most of whom I have traced in some detail because it's so much easier when they are all in the census period.
You have shed light on Eliza 1827 and the Lockyers.
George is a problem - there is a George Hunt (with father Edmund Hunt - basket Maker) married Elizabeth Young 30/3/1845 (possibly a widow) at Bishops Lydeard. but can't link him with census returns.
Also Edmund 1821 doesn't obviously appear.
However, I've just discovered that Free Reg doesn't seem to have North Petherton data on the site (can that really be the case?) so I wonder if there are other places not covered?

For instance, when I go to "Find My Past" I immediately get Joseph Hunt (possible father of Edmund 1794) married Edith Durston b. 1753 in 1778. Then there is a good trail of Joseph 1733. Joel 1710. John 1682 and Roger 1665 all in North Petherton.
I would feel certain of that series except the only obvious Joseph of Joseph and Edith (Hunt) was born in 1734 North Petherton so he would have been 60 when he fathered Edmund 1794 with Edith 41. Not impossible and it could have been a second marriage but---?.

However I think I must go looking again for Mary Ann Hunts siblings using other search sites or at least "Find my Past".

I'd welcome any wisdom on the male line and particularly any confirmation that I have the correct Joseph b. 1734 North Petherton with father Joel Hunt
Ian

O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a Mary Hunt bapt 9.1.1795 at Chilton Polden -parents James Hunt and Jane. Bawdrip and Chilton Polden are only a few miles apart!

djm297

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 November 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
As Eliza Lockyer nee Hunt born 1815 WZ has her Mother Sarah with her in 1851 Census I am fairly confidant Samuel/Sarah are your Mary/Mary Anns Parents.
Also the witness at the 1819 Marriage is transcribed as Samuel Hun.

Also as Edmund/Mary turn up in Western Zoyland to Baptise children 1821/1824/1827 it appears to be no cpincidence Samuel/Sarah are there in 1815 to baptise Eliza.

Familysearch.Org has these Children to Samuel/Sarah Hunt christened Bedminster;
Mary Ann 1800
Samuel 1802
Joseph 1804

Then in Axbridge is a possible Joel 1810 and lastly Eliza 1815 Western Zoyland.

I have no access to records other than that available on-line (I am in Australia) so cant help with North Petherton records.

I havent looked at Edmunds line yet but will now.

Trish :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 November 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Ok, yes I agree Edmunds Parents are likely JOSEPH/EDITH and he was Baptised Bawdip 07 Jul 1794.
Other children of theirs are;
Jane 1782
John 1783
William 1784
Soloman 1787
That is all I can find on FreeREG.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 November 17 14:42 GMT (UK) »

However, I've just discovered that Free Reg doesn't seem to have North Petherton data on the site (can that really be the case?) so I wonder if there are other places not covered?

You can find details of FreeREG's coverage by clicking on "Transcriptions" on the Menu bar near the top and then specifying the County and Place. This link should take you straight to North Petherton

https://www.freereg.org.uk/freereg_contents/North%20Petherton

There is currently very little from there from before 1812.

As far as I am aware, no site has complete coverage of Somerset registers.

FreeREG is provided free, but we depend on donations to buy the source materials, mostly microfiches of the registers from the county Record Offices. We have plenty of volunteers eager to transcribe, it is the shortage of material which is limiting our progress. (See "Donate" on the menu bar.   :) )

If anyone already has microfiches of a Somerset register we haven't yet transcribed, would you please consider lending them to us. We have permission from the SHC to copy them (with a digital scanner) as long as only for transcription purposes, so we wouldn't need them for long.

David