Author Topic: Coal Mine Disaster  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coal Mine Disaster
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 November 17 06:36 GMT (UK) »
The ancestor, James Pilling, in the 1841 census was living in the Village of Tollington Lower End, aged 30 and a coal miner. The census place was Bury, Lancashire.

In the 1851 census, aged 43, he is recorded as Head, Former Coal Miner (Blind), at I think it is Lenton? Field, Bury, A bit hard to read.

In 1861, he has been blind for 16 years.

Would a man born in Bury, and living in Bury most of his life, have worked at Haydock, which seems to be quite some way from Bury, on the other side of Bolton.

Any assistance or ideas would be very gratefully received.

A Chesters
Tottington Lower End was not a village. It was a township which included the villages of Tottington and Holcombe and some other villages and hamlets. The Manor of Tottington had been divided into 2 parts, Tottington Lower End and Tottington Higher End.
 In 1841 the family was in Walshaw Lane. Walshaw is south of the village of Tottington, quite close to Bury. West of Walshaw is Harwood, birthplace of James' wife, now incorporated into Bolton.
Their address on 1851 census was Tenters' Field, Bury. A tenters' field was where cloth was stretched out. Bury Grammar School is in  Tentersfield. So by 1851 the family had moved into the town of Bury. Judging by POBs of the children on 1851 census the family had moved to Rochdale,  East of Bury in the late 1830s and then Bury by mid 1840s. At least that's where Elizabeth was.
1861 they were just in Elton, across the Bolton Road from Tentersfield. POB of son Moses c1835 was Elton.
As others have said there were mines around James' home area. There was another James Pilling from Tottington Lower End who was a coal miner, like his brothers. He lived near Hawkshaw. Neighbours were miners.
There was a coal miner called James Pilling on 1851 & '61 census, born in Bury, resident in West Leigh.
There were several James Pilling, coal miners, living closer to Haydock.
Cowban

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 November 17 07:11 GMT (UK) »
"Solidrock: thank you for that idea, but as I am in Australia, it is a bit difficult."

Maybe an email?

Church Wardens:
Phil Peplow
Philip@philippeplow.co.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 November 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your information.

Maiden Stone, thank you very much indeed with that information about Tollington. I was not at all aware of the geography of the area.

Looking at a printout of the 1841 census, it just states "Parish or Township of Tollington Lower End". I simply took that to be a village :-[ I had not picked up the information about Walshaw Lane, so I am very grateful for your information.

I also was not aware of the significance of the Tenters Lane aspect, so again am grateful for your knowledge.

I had become aware of other James Pillings, but am currently trying to expand my knowledge of direct ancestors. I will look into the siblings and extended family later on. It can be very confusing sorting them out ::) ::)

Solidrock,I will take up your information with grateful thanks. Knowing who to ask is often the best thing, but finding out can be difficult.

That is why I find Rootschaters so very helpful.

With grateful thanks,

AC

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 November 17 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your information.

Maiden Stone, thank you very much indeed with that information about Tollington. I was not at all aware of the geography of the area.

Looking at a printout of the 1841 census, it just states "Parish or Township of Tollington Lower End". I simply took that to be a village :-[ I had not picked up the information about Walshaw Lane, so I am very grateful for your information.

I also was not aware of the significance of the Tenters Lane aspect, so again am grateful for your knowledge.

I had become aware of other James Pillings, but am currently trying to expand my knowledge of direct ancestors. I will look into the siblings and extended family later on. It can be very confusing sorting them out ::) ::)
AC
The name is Tottington, not Tollington.  Possibly derives from settlement of a person called Tota, or Old English for a hilltop look-out. (Wikipedia)

Pieces of cloth in a tenter- field were stretched out and secured on hooks, hence the expression "on tenterhooks". Tenters Street and Tenterden St. are in the Tentersfield area of Bury. It had mills and mill lodges (reservoirs). It's situated right beside the River Irwell, once "t'muckiest river i' t'world".

I mentioned the other coal miners called  James Pilling to illustrate that there were many of them.
Cowban

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 November 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Oops, I have it in my records as Tottington, so why I wrote Tollington I don't know :-[ :-[

Thank you for pointing out the difference, hopefully I will see the keys a bit better. :'( :'(

I had noticed the number of James Pillings, and had got confused a couple of times.

Again thank you

AC