Author Topic: Knox and O'Hare of Donabate  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ejk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knox and O'Hare of Donabate
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 November 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been through the 1901 and 1911 census records and not found a direct match.

John is 13 in March 1901 and 23 in March 1911 - his birthday being just a few weeks before the census date. The family is all R.C. as far as I know.

The Knox family in Kilkenny is the closest with John a 14 year old R.C. but there the father is also John and not William.

I know that ages do get mis-recorded, but even allowing for that there have been no census matches jumping out at me - unlike on the Ennis /Tierney side where they were just so obvious.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Michael Carroll was the coachman in Turvey House in 1911 (John's address on the marriage)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Donabate/Turvey/5961/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
On the registration John's father is shown as William, coachman.... from somewhere
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Trying to work on the idea that as John wasn't in Turvey House in 1911 maybe he came home from somewhere, even thought it doesn't say it on the cert maybe his father was dead. Couldn't see a death for a William that fitted, we can of course only look at later Certs so had a look at widow Knox in Dublin RC,
Only 3, two can be ruled out stright away, ones husband wrong name, the other only has one son who is not John. That leaves Kate but she isn't living with family. More work needed and of course William could be alive and well in Devon or somewhere.

Offline ejk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 November 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link.

I stupidly hadn't even realised you could just drill down by location like that on the census website. Makes exploring possibilities much clearer. You can suddenly see who everyone's neighbour was.

Offline ejk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 November 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Did you say "Devon" for any reason?

I was confused by the census records with just a single letter and found they were military personnel where the full names are not given.

There is a Wm K listed as married 46 years old, Chief of HM Coastguard, on the 1901 census for Burrow, Donabate with a birthplace of Dodbrook, Devon.

Might he be my missing William Knox?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 November 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
No reason just thought Devon would be the kind of place a coachman would find work,(and I can spell Devon).

Offline Dorcha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 March 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Area - DUBLIN (RC) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. MARY, PRO CATHEDRAL
Baptism of BRIDGET ENNIS of 29 GRENVILLE ST on 11 February 1889

Back to search results

New search
Name
Exact Matches Only
 -

More search options
Name   BRIDGET ENNIS
Date of Birth   1 February 1889
Address   29 GRENVILLE ST
Father   N/R
Mother   BRIDGET ENNIS
Further details in the record
Sponsor 1   MARIANNE CUNNING
Priest   JOSEPH O KEEFFE

Hi,  I came across the above as I was searching the O'Hare side, and like you, I could not get a birth for a Bridget O'Hare, nor a marriage for a possible Thomas O'Hare to Bridget Ennis.    Here is what I believe happened.   It's possible that Bridget Ennis was not married at all before she married Michael Tierney.  Their marriage cert does not declare her as widowed, which would be the norm, and it just states that she was living with her parents.   I have come across an unwed mother before, registering her child under the father's name, that would explain why she appears as Bridget O'Hare on the 1901 and 1911 Census.   Perhaps Thomas O'Hare was her real father. 
The baptism above does appear to be Bridget Ennis's daughter Bridget, whom she could have later decided to give her the O'Hare name.      That's the only sense I can make of it.        Regards.

Offline felixquaxer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 March 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Following on Dorcha I notice that there is a reference to a Bridget Ennis at 29 Grenville Street in the edition of 27 th March 1889 of the Irish Times newspaper at Page 2. A quick lookup may be worthwhille even if just to eliminate it.

Felixquaxer