Author Topic: Albert Edward RIDGWAY 1885 Shifnal  (Read 4577 times)

Offline fritton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Albert Edward RIDGWAY 1885 Shifnal
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 11:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with my Grandfather? Born about 1885, in Shifnal, illegitimate son of Margaret Ridgway, no trace of a Birth certificate either at St. Catherine's (yes, I have been searching a long time !), nor at local Registration office, and no sign of a baptism either. No Poor Law/Quarter Session records found.
Margaret RIDGWAY had five ( yes five!) illegitimate children in and around Shifnal . James 1874, Albert Ernest 1876, Frederick Thomas 1881, Harry 1883, and finally Albert Edward in 1885
Margaret is variously described as a Washerwoman or Laundress. She was  living at 34 Shrewsbury Fields Shifnal, which I believe is still standing.
I have Albert Edward in 1891 and 1901 Censuses, and also have his marriage (1909) and death ( 1939). Also have details of Margaret's family and parents, and earlier Census returns.
How did Margaret manage to have 5 illegitimate children? Was she running a brothel? Was she the kept mistress of some aristocrat?
Any information on Margaret or Albert Edward gratefully received.
Phil Ridgway

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward RIDGWAY 1885 Shifnal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 05 00:35 BST (UK) »
I have read your post and tried to find a birth record for Albert Edward but there doesn't seem to be anything for Shifnal.  I am wondering if he was registered under his mother's name - maybe to save herself some embarrassment she registered him with his father's surname ??? ???  Do you have birth certificates for any of the other children which might give you some clues?  Do they all have her surname?

I did do a search on FreeBMD for a Ridgway, with no christian name, between 1880 and 1890 in Shifnal and there was only one: Lewis Charles Ridgway, Jun 1885, Vol 6b, page 616.

Shrewsbury Fields, Shifnal is still standing, and if you do a Google search you will see that there are both businesses and private houses there.    If you need a map, go to the Multimap site.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline fritton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 05 10:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. I have the Birth Certificates for the other children - they are just shown as illegitimate births to Margaret - no father listed.
The birth for Lewis Charles Ridgway 13 March 1885 is another illegitimate birth to Rose Hannah Ridgway -- a sister of Margaret !!
I'm really puzzled to understand how Margaret could give birth to 5 illegitimate children and support them - I have traced three of them, including my grandfather, they all had good jobs and a reasonable start in life. Shifnal seems quite a small town and I wonder why the neighbours didn't run Margaret out of town for her obvious immorality ! I've other ancestral lines  where the first child is illegitimate, or sometimes  born a few weeks after the wedding, but no other comparable examples.
The marriage certificates for the three children I've traced,  all list different names for their fathers -- the only factor that they all agree on was that he/they were deceased!
Thanks again,
Phil

Offline Satchelkid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
Don't know if the OP is still around and interested but I am trying to find birth cert of Ann Ridgway born about 1840 in Shropshire.  I sent for 2 certs that I could find entries for and to my surprise neither list a father and the mothers' names on both certs have the mother's married names but not her maiden name.  Seems a funny coincidence.  Was there a particular way (or simply inefficient???) for registering births in Shropshire at that time?

Offline thechaddlad

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
my grand father was james ridgway think born shifnal mother was margaret ridgway brother of albert edward been trying to find info on him poos father was richard deceased found a james in shifnal living with a man who was a baker by trade and he was his apprentice but couldnt find him in 1901 census found james h ridgeway who had married and was a baker i ask this question did he add the e into his name to hide his past seems reasonable but cant be sure still searching him 

Offline fritton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Very many thanks for your posting re James RIDGWAY -- I hadn't been able to find out much about him  -- like so much about these Ridgways !!
I'd assumed that this was him in the 1881 Census :-

Census Place:   Dawley, Shropshire, England   Source:   FHL Film 1341633     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 2635    Folio 40    Page 16
William BLAND   M   67    M   Pontesbury, Shropshire,    Head
Occ:   General Labourer
Ann BLAND   M   65    F   Church Pulverbach, Shropshire, Wife
James RIDGWAY  U   6    M   Shifnal, Shropshire,    Boarder   Scholar

Margaret and the other children are with their Grandmother Jane, I've wondered why James was a "Boarder".

There is a listing for a James H Ridgway in 1891 Census living with his mother Mary H Ridgway in Lancashire - is he the same one as you found in 1901 ??
They used RIDGWAY and RIDGEWAY at various times so I wouldn't draw any distinction between them.
Where did you find the reference to James as a Baker's apprentice?  I haven't been able to find James in either 1891 or 1901 Censuses.

I made contact some years ago with descendants of Harry, and Fred and they said that their father's had lost contact with James, and had tried to find him.

My direct email is (*) and I've posted my tree at www.ridgway.org.uk

It's great to make contact with another Ridgway descendant, do you have details of Margaret's parents etc ?
Very best wishes,
Phil Ridgway

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.